FW salt vs SW salt

Discussion in 'Salt' started by cannedmulder, Sep 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

As many of you know even though it isn't in my sig I have 2 FW tanks and 1 SW tank. I do put some salt in my FW as it really helps the fish and the tank. After my last water change on the FW tanks I am now out of FW salt. Is there a difference between FW salt and SW salt. The FW tanks I hardly add any salt but they need some for the health of the fish. Can I use my instant ocean in small amounts or should I go get the other stuff I normally use?

2. Click Here!

3. liegeofinveracity

liegeofinveracity Coral Banded Shrimp

...the night time... is the right time...
    it really depends on what you have in there,,discus=no! african cichlids=absolutely,, everything else is somewhere in between.

4. cannedmulder

one tank I have molies (which I know would be ok), guppies, platties, shrimp, frogs, cory cats, couple headlight-tail lights, pleco
    the other tank is angels, needlenose gar, upside down cat, pleco, gold fish

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

you will probabily be ok not sure about the shrimp and frogs though

6. cannedmulder

Well they are feeder shrimp so they were only 28 cents a piece and the frogs I am not sure they are in there anymore as I can't find any. I will give it a shot and let you all know! Tanks for the info!

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I am not sure about some of the fish...only reason I say that is I had a tank that I had mollies, feeder shrimp, a couple cats and a pleco in there and then I decided to convert over to saltwater so that the mollies would breed faster (which they do in salt it seems ????) and so they would live longer in the SW tank when I fed them (Had angler very slow some time to feed)

I did it over a series of like 2 weeks. I added saltwater when I topped off and occasionally would do a low concentration of saltwater. The cats and the pleco died as soon as SG was around 1.020....

8. Click Here!

9. cannedmulder

I don't even add that much salt!