sump design

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by starthy, Sep 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. starthy

starthy Plankton

hey all im in the process of designing a sump for my 60 gal tank here is what i have any comments would be great as this is my first tank / sump
    cheers
    Sump_Design_V2.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

looks great but is that gonna be enough room for your skimmer

4. starthy

starthy Plankton

lol that is a good point i just measured my skimmer and it is 12'' long do you think the skimmer section will be ok at 14''?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  5. target001

target001 Skunk Shrimp

u are gonna have to much flow over yer refuge area something like this would be more efficient

sumpfuge.JPG

note only 2 baffles instead of the 3 most people seem to use, i found in my setup that has the 3 that crap gets stuck in there and its imposible to clear out

6. target001

target001 Skunk Shrimp

posted wrong pic sorry lol

sumpfuge2.jpg

this idea is better bec ause it doesnt compramise yer gph to the display tank

1 person likes this.
  7. starthy

starthy Plankton

with that design how much water would you have going into to skimmer section and how much would you have going into the fuge section from the tank ?

8. Click Here!

9. target001

target001 Skunk Shrimp

with that design all of the water would find the skimmer but the purpose of the tap to the refuge area is to adjust the flow it receives

the way its drawn would give the impression that the refuge area would recieve no water at the point where the water splits to the skimmer/refuge area the T piece would have to be setup differntly <that image is just a quick map of the way id go about it all>

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  10. target001

target001 Skunk Shrimp

Untitled.jpg

like the pic above sorry think i confused yah, and my self for that matter :-X

11. starthy

starthy Plankton

lol i understand
    i just drew up a new design which i think is quite good tell me you opinions
    the fuge area will overflow into the return section through teeth , i will have around 75% of water going into the skimmer section and 25% going into the fuge section
    do you think the return section is large enough ?

Untitled.jpg

12. target001

target001 Skunk Shrimp

that idea would prolly work better than my drawing but IMO 25 pct of the water to the refuge is still to much id prolly go to a bout 10 pct of the water to the fuge

the reason that setup is proly better is because the pods and other various things growing in yer refuge wont get sucked up the skimmer they can just return to the display tank which is much better for the fish that require pods to feed on

with the return chamber size i found in mine that when water evaporates out of the system it is shown in the return chamber so the bigger it is the less amount of times a week u will need to top off the water level

one other thing, im not sure what u plan on putting in yer fuge but DSBs are a bit of a time bomb if u plan on having 1 id prolly say yer safer to not have that right hand baffle to devide the fuge/return chambers, instead id just have a container large enough that u can pull out in case of troubles, a inbuilt fuge with a DSB is virtually impossible to clean out incase of emergency with a container u can just cut the water and pull it out and clean it out elsewhere making the whole thing safer for yer tank,fish,coral and everything

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008