Refugium Plant/Macroalgae Setup

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Courtster, Nov 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

What macroalgae do you run?

1. Caulerpa with no problems.

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Bad Caulerpa experience, I run Chaeto now.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Chaeto, never tried caulerpa.

20 vote(s)
    71.4%
  4. I use some other macroalgae.

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Courtster

Courtster Feather Duster

Caulerpa vs Chaeto Poll

Hey guys, I'm looking for everyones input on a subject that's probably been beat to death: Caulerpa vs Chaeto. When I first started cycling, my friend gave me a rock with some feather caulerpa growth (best I can tell, looks like the killer strain) to get my fuge going. The cycle is virtually done, and the caulerpa has really taken off, its covered that rock and spreading fast. Now I'm thinking about removing it, but I'm hearing two sides to the caulerpa vs chaeto battle. Some people use it with no complaints, others swear against it. I have carbon and skimmer after the fuge, so that should prevent any negative side effects of the caulerpa. I would like to know what you guys use, and get an idea of how many people have had bad experiences with caulerpa. If I do remove it, I'm going to use a Mangrove/Chaeto mix in the fuge, or mangroves in overflows with chaeto in fuge. Thanks for your input!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I wouldn't use caulerpa since there's the chance spores will get washed into a drain and end up in the ocean. Illegal in CA and should be everywhere.

4. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

wow, never thought of that. The plant spores can live in freshwater?

I use caulerpa, grape caulerpa, fern type caulerpa and chaeto. No issues with mine.

5. Courtster

Courtster Feather Duster

Yea I've read that, but I drain my water outside onto the driveway. I doubt the spores will live outside. Mainly looking for any negative effects in the tank.

6. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

I have talked to ONE person with a REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE with caulerpa releasing spores, he is actually a 3reef member too. He said his tank went cloudy for a couple of days, he ran carbon and did water changes and it resolved. I think this whole "it will kill your tank thing" is a regurgitated myth. I'm sure it will cause damage, but if treated right away, damage should be reversible.

7. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

you need an all of the above choice.
    I had a tank for over 2 years with caulerpa and a 24 hour cycle on the fudge.
    today my tank has both caulerpa and chateo as well as 3 other types of macro algae.
    the jury is still out on the current tank but so far so good :p

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I have been running grape calurpa for about 3 years now with a reverse light cycle from the tank and have had no problems with it. You will hear a lot of read repeaters talk about it going asexual and wiping out tank. Just cycle the lights as algae needs a rest too just like us.

10. Courtster

Courtster Feather Duster

You grow them all in the same fuge or in the DT? What are your thoughts on the new setup with all of them so far?

Has yours ever gone asexual not running the lights 24/7? If so, how did that go for you?

11. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

They are all in the fuge on a reverse lighting schedule. They have not completely eliminated the usual new tank algae blooms but I believe has minimized them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid