Please grade my sump design homework

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by NASAGeek, Dec 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

My first attempt at a sump design was way too complicated. Here is my second attempt. I think this one is pretty simple and fairly standard. Please let me know what you think. I am going to wait to get some feedback before installing the baffles then I'll send in some pictures of the real thing.

Here is a picture of the design.
    McDonald Simplified Sump Refuge Design - 3reef Photos

One question I had... Is it okay to stack extra LR in with the skimmer?? Didn't see why that would be a problem, but asking doesn't hurt.

Appreciate the feedback. Any improvements or features I should add??

Thanks
    Mark

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. jturnbull

jturnbull Purple Spiny Lobster

Looks pretty good to me. And I keep the extra live rock that I have in the fuge for pods to nest in. But no I shouldn't be a problem to keep with the skimmer as long as there is sufficient room for it.

4. bama

bama Humpback Whale

A+ and K+.. Good work.. oh, and throw as much LR in there as you want.. its only going to do good..

5. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

id drop skimmer section to 6" unless your puttin the xp on a stand

6. NaClCrocodile

NaClCrocodile Skunk Shrimp

I really like the automated WC idea. K+
    Otherwise it's very similar to mine, the baffles work great and I'm not getting any bubbles whatsoever.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  7. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Thanks everyone. Yes, I have the skimmer on a stand.

I am off to install the baffles.

Mark

8. Click Here!

9. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Looks great, but are you using 3 panes for the bubble traps? The under over is the best design for a bubble trap. You don't really need one on the fuge, but no harm either. You can at least put a filter there to catch any stuff.

The way you have your trap drawn now, forces the water down and exits under water by your pump. Your pump will just suck in the bubbles. Putting another pane directs and remaining bubbles to the surface of the water where they can break and not get sucked into the pump.

10. CrazyA

CrazyA Feather Duster

Good concept on utilizing the main pump to draw water for water changes. Only thing that comes to mind is if the water volume is on the low side you would be limited to the amount you'd be able to pump out. If you wanted to pump out more than what was in the sump youd need to provide means of siphoning more water to the sump once DT water level reached below the overflow... Looks good though.

11. Geoff

Geoff Teardrop Maxima Clam

Now you're talking Nasa man,lol. I would put a ball valve on each of your lines coming out of the overflow,pretty close to the overflow,where you could cut the water to the sump off if need be, and you could use the ball valve on the line that goes to the fuge to adjust the flow like you were going to do but closer to the overflow.JMO

12. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Looks great. Awesome illustration too.