Chaeto Air Injection

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Matt Rogers, Apr 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

As many of you know, chaeto can fill spaces fast. While this is great for nutrient export, I've noticed that it can block flow as it becomes dense. The edges and top of my chaeto has begun to get covered with flossy red algae which I fear will smother it without pruning. I suspected low-flow. I increased the flow of my sump pump but I am restricted on how much due to the Neo Nano return. So I decided to go another route. What follows is day 1 of a little experiment with chaeto air injection.

[​IMG]
    Chaeto air injection - why not?

[​IMG]

I bought a Whisper 10 air-pump and a 5" bubble disc and wedged it under the chaeto. Immediately after plugging it in debris flew off the chaeto and some of the flossy red algae became dislodged.

Time will tell if all the red algae will go away. In the meantime, there is noticeably more flow around the chaeto. Other benefits of chaeto air injection? Well I think my pH will certainly improve along with oxygen/ORP so this cheap experiment can't hurt. What do you think?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I think its a great idea! I can't wait to see the results!

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks! I'll update this thread.
    I should add that the Whisper 10 is extremely quiet. Air pumps have come a long way. I don't hear it with the doors of my cabinet closed.

I paid double at LFS but I see them online for as low as $8. I paid $4 or so for the bubble disc.

5. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

My only fear is the bubbles will cause salt creep.

Right? :-/

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Following. I always get chaeto thats too dense too and end up 'fluffing' it

7. kwinter1

kwinter1 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I like this idea might try it myself If my chaeto every grows

8. Click Here!

9. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

Cool idea. I'll be interested to see the flow changes, as I usually have this exact problem. I am guessing it will work amazingly, but up your evaporation and cause and increase in salt creep.

10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Great experiment, Matt. :thumb_up:

FWIW, if increased evaporation or salt spray/creep becomes a problem, one could always add a glass top. The bubble disc would ensure that you keep fresh air under the cover for gas exchange. :)

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I think it's a neat idea. Did you have a chart of nitrate levels before the air bubbler so it could be compared with later results?

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks all!
    I took a nitrate test a week or two ago and it was less than 10ppm. I will do another one and report back.
    I am not too worried about salt creep, but I agree there should be some as a result. Occasional maintenance should be all that is required there.