rreef tank with Solatube skylight?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by James_SD, Jun 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. James_SD

James_SD Plankton

Is is possible to run a reef tank with a Solatube type skylight? I would not be attempting any difficult corals, just whatever grew from the live rock. Tank is somewhat high and on a very high stand (my eye level when standing is midtank) so it is fairly close to the ceiling. Thanks.

James

2. Click Here!

3. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

4. Zeyphon

Zeyphon Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Very cool, but I guess it would only work in consistently warm and sunny climates which sucks for people in Canada. Also, the colour seems a little off, I don't like 20K Kelvin look in alot of what I call "Windex tanks" but this doesn't even look like 10K. Maybe with some actinic T5's or LEDs.

5. OrphekUSA

OrphekUSA 3reef Sponsor

Can't beat NSL! Most areas have enough sunlight to grow coral - Anthony Calfo had a propagation facility in Philly!

6. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Liking the color of the light & the coral liking the light are two different things though.

7. Zeyphon

Zeyphon Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

True, and to clarify, when I said the colour seems off I meant it looks unnatractive to me because of how yellow it is, the coral probably like it more than what normally goes over reef tanks.

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I think results with Solo-Tubes have been mixed. Corals aren't adapted to the unfiltered spectrum of the sun, nor the unfiltered intensity. So, there is reason some might think it isn't optimal and people seem to have mixed results, from the threads I've seen. I've noticed a lot end up giving up and going back to artificial lighting for various reasons. I'd still be tempered to try it, if I every did a bigger tank though especially.

Here is an interesting article on lighting:
    Feature Article: The Best Lamp Is... — Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine