LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2008, 04:07 PM
FrZ
Plankton

Skin: Mint
FrZ is on a distinguished road

gallery
Default Reef Lighting Q's

I just took the plunge and ordered this lighting system for my tank setup (100gl about 20" deep)

Current USA 48 inch Outer Orbit 2x150w 10K HQI-MH w/ 4x54W T5 HO & 18 Lunar Lights (48in )

I was wondering if this would be enough to accommodate a reef setup with soft corals, and if possible hard corals. If not what lighting system would you guys recommend.

Thanks
FrZ is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 04-01-2008, 07:46 AM   #2
Zoanthid

KOgle has a reputation beyond reputeKOgle has a reputation beyond reputeKOgle has a reputation beyond reputeKOgle has a reputation beyond reputeKOgle has a reputation beyond reputeKOgle has a reputation beyond reputeKOgle has a reputation beyond reputeKOgle has a reputation beyond reputeKOgle has a reputation beyond reputeKOgle has a reputation beyond reputeKOgle has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

How wide is your tank? I would be careful on what type of hard corals you get as this may not be enough light for the more light demanding SPS corals.

You should fine keeping softies though.
KOgle is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-01-2008, 08:07 AM   #3
Gnarly Old Codfish

omard has a reputation beyond reputeomard has a reputation beyond reputeomard has a reputation beyond reputeomard has a reputation beyond reputeomard has a reputation beyond reputeomard has a reputation beyond reputeomard has a reputation beyond reputeomard has a reputation beyond reputeomard has a reputation beyond reputeomard has a reputation beyond reputeomard has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
contributor 

gallery

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa79/omard1/Animas/welcomexx.gif

Glad to see you found way here.

Awesome Lighting system!

I would think you keep anything requiring high lighting (sps/clams etc...) under it with a 100 gal tank!!!

Might even be too much for many softies if not shielded somewhat by rock or other.

Make sure to adjust new corals to it gently.

Good investment...good job.

Scott

Last edited by omard; 04-01-2008 at 08:34 AM.
omard is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-01-2008, 08:59 AM   #4
FrZ
Plankton

gallery

Thanks for your replies

Tank is 60" wide

Also do any of you know how hot this particular fixture gets?
Old 04-01-2008, 10:18 AM   #5
Zoanthid

KOgle has a reputation beyond reputeKOgle has a reputation beyond reputeKOgle has a reputation beyond reputeKOgle has a reputation beyond reputeKOgle has a reputation beyond reputeKOgle has a reputation beyond reputeKOgle has a reputation beyond reputeKOgle has a reputation beyond reputeKOgle has a reputation beyond reputeKOgle has a reputation beyond reputeKOgle has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

How hot is it? Well if your room is kept at 72 degrees and the room is also at 60% humidity that fixture should get to approximately 247 degrees.

Just kidding, I really don't know but it does have metal halides in it so it's going to put off some heat. You might want to keep a close eye on the water temp at first to make sure it doesn't over heat the tank...
Old 04-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
FrZ
Plankton

gallery

Is the 150w ok or would bumpong up to 250w make a big difference?
Old 04-01-2008, 10:48 AM   #7
Zoanthid

gallery

Just depends on what you want to keep. If you are going to get into clams and SPS corals I would go with the 250 but if not no reason to add the extra heat and electricity costs.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:51 AM   #8
Finback Whale

reef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 

gallery

Quote:
Is the 150w ok or would bumpong up to 250w make a big difference?
the 250w would afford more oportunity in the future, specific corals need a specific par so without a meter there is no way of telling

Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine - Feature Article: Coral Coloration: Fluorescence: Part 1
Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine - Feature Article: Coral Coloration, Part 6: Non-fluorescent Chromoproteins (CP-568 – CP-610) And A Newly Discovered Colorant
Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine - Lateral Lines: Classification and Terminology For Reef Aquarium Lighting
reef_guru is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-01-2008, 11:30 AM   #9
Plankton

norman.stormin is on course

gallery

I am running the 36" Outer Orbit, similar set-up with the t5's, but I have the 2x250w MHs. I have a 72 gal high, and with the dual 250's it looks like the sun in my living room! In fact, if you drive by the house, it looks like a UFO coming in for a landing...

I have the lights mounted on the supplied legs, about 3-4 inches off the top of the tank, with a Home Depot-special light diffuser. Haven't noticed any significant temp change in the tank, and the room is a consistent 70-72 degrees.
norman.stormin is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 04-04-2008, 11:27 AM   #10
FrZ
Plankton

gallery

Well I realized that I couldn't just put a fixture in my canopy do I retrofitted a 250w mh lights with 2 75w vho on each side. Now not only can I keep pretty much any coral, I can redirect air traffic

Thanks for all your input

Click Here!