150w Current USA Outer Orbit pendant

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Bill Nye, May 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bill Nye

Bill Nye Astrea Snail

Hey everyone

As some of you know ive been having alot of problems with my old 70 watt MH ballast. So today while picking up some Chaeto at the LFS he was telling me about this 150 w Current Outer Orbit pendant he had for a while. I inquired about it and it had the pendant, ballast, bulb and 3 moon lights on it for 150 bucks. I picked it up for 150....good deal? I thought so thats why I bought it.

Unfortunately now I just tried running it and it wont fire the bulb for some reason. Not sure if the bulb is at fault or what but its pretty crappy luck (typical). Im gonna go back there tomorrow and see if they have another bulb they can try to fire in it or what not.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

ROFL :lol:
    Hella funny

4. Bill Nye

Bill Nye Astrea Snail

hahaha that video is awesome.

But anyway I fiddled with that thing and tried to "finagle" the bulb for about an hour or two last night and it was a no go. Im gonna have to return it today. I was thinking anyway that maybe a pendant isnt the best fixture for me considering im gonna be moving pretty soon and im doubting many landlords will let me drill their ceiling.

5. Bill Nye

Bill Nye Astrea Snail

Ok well I returned the fixture today. Sucked returning it kinda cause it was a sick one but kinda happy cause having to screw it into the ceiling is probably a bad combo for me. I am kinda lost right now as to what lighting I should be looking at. I got a 5.5g tank and am interested in a 150 watt set up most likely because of larger bulb choices and being able to keep it when I upgrade eventually.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent 150 watt set up? Even a retrofit might work for me as I already built a hood for my current retrofit. I was also looking at fishneedit fixtures but am a little leery due to it being a knock off brand and having poor bulbs.

6. Bill Nye

Bill Nye Astrea Snail

haha ya I know. I actually talked to some people over on Nano Reef about it since they run 150 w on a 5 and a 7.5. They both said they are having some heat problems but you just need to hang it high enough and youll be fine.

But after some further review today.....

I think I am 100 percent gonna go LED. I have been doing alot of reading and LEDs are pretty damn cool. I dont know the policy on mentioning companies but (edit this out please if its not allowed) nanocustoms is coming out with alot of new LED stuff that looks freaking great.