Solderless connectors now available!

Discussion in 'RapidLED' started by Rapid LED, Nov 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

Hi Everyone,

We constantly get inquiries from people who would like to DIY their own lights but are uncomfortable with the amount of soldering that it takes. We used to put builds together for those that wanted it but have recently stopped offering this service so we could focus on improving our products and offering a larger variety of goods.

We're happy to say that we now have a solution for those who do not want to solder as we are now carrying solderless connectors that require ZERO soldering. All you need to do is plug in some solid core wire on each end of the connector and screw the LED/connector down. What's even better is these connectors fit our drilled/tapped heatsinks so you won't need to fiddle around with drilling and tapping if you don't want to.

[​IMG]

Admittedly, these connectors aren't perfect because you won't be able to put our lenses on top of them but we're doing everything we can to make life easier for all the DIY'ers out there one step at a time.

Finally, we've also added some dimmable accessories to our site so feel free to come on over and browse around. As always, if you have any questions feel free to post them or send us a message/email.

P.S. Here are the product links:
    Solderless connector for XR-E: http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-120/Solderless-Connector-for-CREE/Detail

Solderless connector for XP-G: http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-121/Solderless-Connector-for-CREE/Detail

Dimming accessories: http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-Dimming-Accessories/Categories

Thanks,
    Rapid LED

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Certainly some nifty parts. The DMM is stupid cheap! :thumb_up:

4. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

Actually, I wouldn't mind soldering a bit if the price for LED's weren't so freaking expensive in the first place... I appreciate what your company is bringing to the table for a few DIY'ers, but the reason I haven't already built an LED fixture is the price... I don't mind putting the work into it, but spending $500 on just parts is a bit much when I still have to do all the work.

5. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

so these just fit around the leds?

i will be ordering the 12 led package to set up on my 12 gallon nano

6. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

Yup, just fit them around the LED (you'll have to match up the + and - on the connector to the + and - on the star pcb), screw it down, and insert the wire (you'll have to strip off the ends of the wire).

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

I am a bit of a modder and one thing I have learned is always solder, it's just more secure and accurate of a connection then the solderless packages.

but these don't look to bad considering the number of connections you must make and way you secure it.

8. Click Here!

9. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Very good alternative, IMO. Good going for giving the option!

10. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

It says I cannot use a lens for them. What does that mean?

11. Rapid LED

Rapid LED 3reef Sponsor

It means that a lens won't fit on top of the connector, so you can't use a secondary lens (the traditional 40, 60 or 80 degree lenses) on them. The LED itself has a lens on it already, and it's generally 115-120 degrees.

12. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I am not using a secondary lens on my 15 LED setup, merely to blend the color easier. I have a shallow tank (14" to sandbed), but on a deeper tank, I would suggest lens'. I think too much light would go to waste without lens' in a deeper setup (18"-24+"). No lens' would workout just fine for your new tank.

I think this solderless idea is great. I don't mind soldering these connections, but, I'll admit that it can be a pain sometimes, and I have had a connection break. If you guys can figure out a way to make secondary lens' an option with these, you'll have a perfect product.