Vertex, Reef Octopus, Euro Reef ...

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by wiigelec, Nov 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wiigelec

wiigelec Fire Shrimp

Near as I can tell these three skimmers are darn near identical:

Octopus NWB-110
    Vertex IN-80
    Euro-Reef RS80P

As far as I know all three of these skimmers are extruded acrylic with all the same basic features, construction, and price point. At this point my decision revolves around the skimmer pumps ...

The Octopus uses an Askoll pump? Vertex uses a Resun pump, about which I have read some less than flattering comments mostly concerning noise and power consumption. Finally the Euro Reef uses a Sedra pump which is purportedly the best of the bunch.

Right now I am leaning towards the Euro Reef, which of course are not sold online so I would need to find a dealer.

Thoughts, opinions, additional information?

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

reef Octopus uses Coral Vue pumps. Some rebranded pump I think. Extremes use Sicce. Askolls are very big pump and are put on some big Octos for Huricone skimmers.

As you said these are all about the same. Don't think you will find huge differences between the pumps.

1 person likes this.
  4. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

You can contact Euro Reef directly and buy from them. That is what I did.

1 person likes this.
  5. wiigelec

wiigelec Fire Shrimp

Which Euro Reef are you running? How do you like it? How is the quality etc?

Thanks

6. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

1 person likes this.
  7. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

I am running the BBE 180. It is a limited edition one.

How do I like it? I will never buy another brand as long as they are in business.

My skimmer is considered to be on the low end of their line. If that is the case, I would love to see their high end stuff.

Skims like a champ. Thick, dark, disgustingly smelly stuff. Built like a rock.

8. Click Here!

9. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

I use a Euro Reef RS80 and it works really well. I found it used on Craigslist for $60. Without a doubt the best $60 I have spent on my tank. pulls out a lot of junk and produces a really dark smelly skimmate. I now fully see the difference between a good skimmer and a cheaper skimmer. I used to have a CSS 125 and I thought it did a pretty good job but now I can really see a difference. Its not too loud either which is nice as I sleep about 10 feet away from my tank in the living room.

10. ardo_ski

ardo_ski Peppermint Shrimp

11. dreiling

dreiling Fire Shrimp

I had a aqua euro which i liked I have an aqua c 120 which keeps my tank super clean.
    asm are also real good