SWC pump died!

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Toallhisdoom, Apr 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

UGH! Stupid swc 160 w/ atman 2500 pump burnt out. I guess i accadentally hit the power strip and it did not start back up, so then it was just on for a day without spinning untill i realized it. Now it does nothing. :( $60 for a new pump!

Anything i can do to the new one to prevent it from having start up issues? I have read it is a common thing with these pumps.

2. Click Here!

3. cgarner

cgarner Skunk Shrimp

I'm on my third pump in about a year. Seems as though I've got lucky with my third pump because it has been working like a charm for over 6months.

4. cgarner

cgarner Skunk Shrimp

Also, SWC replaced my first pump.

5. Toallhisdoom

Ah i wish! I bought my skimmer used for $50 knowing the pump was having issues. Lasted me like 3 months so for $50 cant complain. And then $60 for a new pump for overall a $250 skimmer for around $100 not bad.

6. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i read they used to use the sicce 2500 pumps on those 160's but switched to altman because they were more cost effective. you may want to check into that. sicce are really nice pumps that last. so if thats true about it dropping right in, its the route to go.

this is just something i read. so i don't know if its true i never researched it. i don't have a 160 swc i have the 120 ( different pump on the 120) maybe you could write the company and see if the sicce will fit.

7. cgarner

cgarner Skunk Shrimp

Before I ordered my third pump I asked if there was another pump option. I told them I heard there used to be or was currently another pump option since a lot of people were having issues with the atman pump. The guy I talked to said that was all rumor and wasn't sure who started it. I just said ok, and ordered another atman pump. I would expect them to stand behind their the current pump unless a lot of people had issues. I couldn't find any information about other compatible pumps.

The problem I was having is - I shut off my skimmer during feeding. The first 2 pumps I had wouldn't start back up. The third pump has been working a lot better. I had one issue and I decided to deal with it the next day. When I plugged it back in to the power strip it magically started up. Been luck so far I guess.

8. Click Here!

9. Toallhisdoom

Yea ill try plugging it in again tonight see what happens. I already ordered another atman 2500. Hope this one works better.

10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

good to know. thanks tor the correction :)

11. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

The sicce pumps you are referring to do go into their 180 model, but they do not fit in a 160.

12. sikpupy

sikpupy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Siccies are just as bad if not worse to not start up. Also, mine sounded like a B-52 when it IS running. Try to rig up an ehiem and be done with it.