Soda Lime

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by mm2002, Oct 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

Being an avid diver, I've been exploring re-breathers. They use soda lime media for removing C02 from the "used" air, and then oxygen is added to make the air breathable again. This got me thinking about using it for aquarium purposes. If you made some sort of reactor that would filter the air inlet on your skimmer through this media, it would remove the C02 from the air, thereby reducing the C02 level in your aquarium which would help with stabilizing PH.....no? Or is this a stupid idea? I googled soda lime, and nothing aquarium related came up.

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

That's actually a brilliant idea... if it's ever proven that the tank absorbs CO2 from the skimmer. AFAIK, studies are still being conducted concerning how much O2 is actually absorbed in the skimmer, so the consensus ATM is that the vast majority of gas exchange occurs at the water's surface, hence the need for vigorous circulation.

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

People have been doing so for a while. Bulk Reef Supply sells it for that purpose. They used to sell a kit, now they just sell the reactor and media separate. It certainly works, although it doesn't last long and gets expensive.

1 person likes this.
  5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Interesting. Thanks for the insight. :)

7. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

Yes, very interesting! I thought I had an original idea. ::)
    I'd like to do a little more research now, but yes, it seems the media is rather expensive and I haven't figured out if it would be cost effective or not. Interesting

8. Click Here!

9. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

Just more brainstorming here, but anyway....if most of the oxygen exchange is done at the surface of the water (which I've always believed too), then how much 02 concentration is actually produced from the micro bubbles produced by the skimmer? I've always thought it was a decent amount, depending on the flow of the skimmer of course. If the skimmer really doesn't produce anything significant as far as 02 concentration, then this whole idea is a moot point.