which skimmer for biocube?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Mkizla, Aug 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

hey guys, i have a biocube 29 gallon. I was wondering which skimmer is good for biocube 29 gallon? I have only fish in there but im planning to add skimmer once i had some soft corals in to the tank. Anyway is oceanic skimmer good enough for biocube? Or is there other product you guys can reccomand me

2. Click Here!

3. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

4. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

bump...and still waiting

5. pks4life420

pks4life420 Fire Worm

1+ thats what i was using on my ten gal nano it has a nice little pile of gunk when i use it but I'm sure there is better ones out there......anyone know?....

I am setting up a 10gal sump now and im getting a bigger skimmer...I have seen some called Prism that might work for you check it out.....

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Personally I wouldn't put a skimmer on a bio-cube. From what I have seen of the skimmers available there really isn't anything out there that does a good enough job to justify the money.

7. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

i know a couple people that run a tunze on their biocube 29

something you could look into

8. Click Here!

9. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

Im kinda on budget. And biocube skimmer seems to be the cheapest..would it kill me if i get the biocube skimmer? And must invest on something better?

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I have no experience with it, but I asked about it at my LFS and they told me not to bother as it wasn't very good

J

11. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Get an AquaticLife 115 instead. They work great for something so small. They are like $50. I pull coffee out of my 12G JBJ nano cube with this thing.

12. waterflea

waterflea Plankton

powerBrite LED conversion

TigerMike, I'm curious about the PowerBrite LEDs that you mentioned you have put in your JBJ 12. I have an Oceanic BioCube 14g, currently running a 10K/50:50 combination (48 W total). Was the conversion to LED simple? I'm guessing it would be similar for the JBJ and Oceanic systems (I'm sure I can find out from Marine Depot or other supplier of Current USA LEDs) but I would appreciate hearing your experience. Also, what do you think of the quality of the LED vs. compact? Can you comment on effects to your livestock?

thanks in advance.