Reef Octopus BH100F help

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by JustOneMore23, Aug 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JustOneMore23

JustOneMore23 Astrea Snail

I have a Reef Octopus BH100F HOB skimmer for my tank and I put it together last night (not much to it). The instructions are very simple, but it shows a valve and I did not get a valve in the box (for starting the siphon). I made sure it didn't fall out of a bag...no valve. I did some googling and it seems other people have had the same problem. So, I set it up, filled it with water, and plugged it in to see what happens.

Well, the pump turns on and the water leaves the first chamber....but it won't siphon water into it. I have no valve which seems to help this problem. On one website, a person manually started the siphon with their mouth but it took awhile and several mouthfuls of sw later it worked. I tried this...and it didn't work.

So, I'm out of ideas...I'm frustrated...and I'm hoping someone has a suggestion for me.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. Click Here!

3. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

On mine, which is a BH-1000, the instructions showed an air control valve. But mine did not come with it. I called the MFG and talked to them. They informed me the instructions are used for several models and mine did not have or need the air valve. Might be the same thing with yours. I had to start the siphon manually on mine too, if it has an external pump, I.E. the pump is outside the tank, you will have to start the siphon.

4. JustOneMore23

Thanks! The pump is inside the skimmer...so its outside the tank. I tried starting the siphon manually...for like 10-15mins, but it didn't seem to work. It looked like it would take in a tiny amount of water...like every so often, but the water level was at the bottom of the pump. Is that where it's supposed to be? Or should it be continually taking in water?

5. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

On mine I had to fill the skimmer with water, then suck on the air intake hose to get the siphon started. There are some other members here that have, or had that model, maybe they can offer some more info. I know packleader said he got a mouthfull of saltwater when he was starting the siphon on his.

6. JustOneMore23

I will give it a try again and see what happens. If I can't get it, I will shoot Packleader a PM and see if he can offer some input.

One more question for ya....did you suck on the air intake hose and then plug the pump in or vice versa? Maybe I'm not doing it in the right order.

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

let me know how you like the 100 my 800 arrives tomorrow, are the instructions as bad as the net says they are?