Octopus BH100 Air Pump problem

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by m_hsiao, Mar 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

So my octopus is an amazing skimmer, it does an excellent job skimming my 75G reef tank. However, I have encountered a problem, it is a fairly used skimmer and I'm assuming there is something wrong with the pump.. The pump will work for about a minute, then stops for another 30 seconds, works for another 2 mins, stops for another minute.. does anyone know what is possibly causing this? I have tried cleaning the air pump out and unclogging the air tube and every other thing possible I feel.. and it is still doing that.. I'm currently using my coralife skimmer 65 until i find a solution for this skimmer.. or does anyone know where I can order a replacement pump? Resun King 225F is the model of the air pump I believe.. I have found a pump similar..

Resun King 225F runs at 225GPH and 19Watts
    If I use the Resun King 2 which goes at 260GPH and 20Watts, will it be too strong that it could be overflowing my collection cup or would the extra 35GPH be fine? Advice please.
    Thanks in advance
    :D

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Try running the skimmer with vinegar first. Often you will get salt or mineral build-up that can cause a blockage in an area that you just cant get to.
    As far as the pump is concerned, I really have no idea. I would imagine it would be OK, since the octopus gives quite a bit of room for adjustment.

4. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

5. DarthClownfish

DarthClownfish Flamingo Tongue

I agree with Packleader. I would clean the pump by running it in a vinegar bath, and see if the impeller is worn first. I would not put the Resun 2 on it. My guess is that it would inject more air than the reaction chamber can handle and you will see problems with wet foam/water in the collection cup.

I have an Octco HOB skimmer on one tank and that is my educated guess