Needle Wheel Pump Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Blade_Runner, Jun 15, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Hi:

My BL MD40 that was driving the Beckett for my modified Jebo 520 packed it in.

In the constant quest of messing around with skimmers, I was thinking about trying a needle wheel pump for more foam production.

Any thoughts, opinions, or specific pump recommendations?

Thanks,

Bruce

2. Click Here!

3. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

I was recommended a Gen-X pump. Never gt around to buy it they seem to have a good rep.

Marc.

4. powdertang05

powdertang05 Fire Worm

yes the genx pumps card good some are ok one is the best the 4100 is the best used by GEO,euroreef soi they are much better then the smaller ones but ive also had good luck with the 1500 the 1000 and the 2400 are not worth it. ALSO have had good luck with the sedra pumps and the new ehiem are suppose to knock the crap out of anything in the market when it finally comes out im buting it for my ASM when it comes out.

5. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Gen X has an external needle wheel pump? That would be a strong choice!
    Something around 9000 to 1000gph would be great.

Now, who stocks them?

BTW, I head that Sequence has a version of the Reef Dart coming out that will be a needle wheel that is supposed to rock for a large application.

6. powdertang05

powdertang05 Fire Worm

well you can buy them most places the 4100 i believe is around 900 gph i love mine. i heard about the squence but i think thats for a way bigger application like a comercial skimmer but i guess maybe it would work for a bigger skimmer but i can wait for the eheim with the needle wheel or the tunze those are going to kick but with teh euroreefs they are awesome on the deltecs.

7. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

8. Click Here!

9. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

10. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

11. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Holy pumps Covey!
    Thanks for all the research.
    I'm not as impressed as I hoped with the Gen-X product. I was hoping for a nice quiet pump similar to their top of line external product.

I was talking to my LFS guy as he is coming out to the house next week to help my plumb my new 90 RR Fowler into the big basement system. He advised me against a NW for my 210. He cited that since it is in my office, that I would find it too loud. Plus why should I mess with "success" as the Becket mod on the Jebo 520 works well. If I change anything, he recommended that I simply go to a slightly higher pressure pump and really get the Becket cranked up. Maybe go from a MD40 style pump to a MD55 or a Quit One 4000hh or 5000hh.

I'm so confused!

12. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

He adviced keeping the beckett because the NW would be to noisy. That sound like LFS advice. ::)
    NW are quieter than becketts.

Either of the MD's are hands down better for a beckett than the Quite One pumps.

How'd you like the monster NW dart skimmers?