Micro bubbles provided by skimmer......

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by CowboyUp, Jan 26, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CowboyUp

CowboyUp Fire Worm

A little [smiley=help.gif] please!!! I have an in-sump skimmer running and can't quite figure out how to get rid of the micro bubbles that it is producing. Here's the problem: the skimmer return is creating micro bubbles in my sump. Which in turn my return pump returns these bubbles to my main tank, leaving my tank with a fine "fog" of micro bubbles! I have attached a piece of tubing to my skimmer return to limit the waterfall effect in the hopes of ridding of the bubbles. It has helped some, but I'm still getting them. Should I put the return completely under water? Any ideas?

Thanks,

CowboyUp [smiley=cowboy.gif]

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

If you have some of that blue fiber cloth stuff we all use as filter material then roll a piece up and use a rubber band to hold it and place it where the water drops into the sump.

Most of the time it is not the skimmer doing this though. Check the intake on the pump. Do you have the sponge filter on this sump dividing the bio balls and pump area? if you do this maybe needing to be replaced. I just went through this and changed the pre filter and pad on top of bio balls and sponge divider and the micro bulbs went away.

4. CowboyUp

CowboyUp Fire Worm

I'm going to try your idea with the fiber cloth or something similar that I can find. I don't have the sponge dividing the bio balls from the pump area(didn't know I was supposed to?) I suppose I do need to put a filter on the intake of my return pump, I currently don't have one. I'm pretty sure the bubbles are coming from my skimmer return though. I can watch the little waterfall creating bubbles in my sump, and I'm assuming my return pump is sucking these up and shooting them back up to my tank. Trial and error. I'm sure I'll get this fixed with your help and others that would like to chime in!

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That sponge you are thinking about will help big time. BUt it's usually between some egg crate or dividers near the sump pump, not under the bioballs. Most people do that to catch the skimmer bubbles. ;) :)

6. CowboyUp

CowboyUp Fire Worm

Thanks Matt- MasterKingfishSuperAquariumKnowledgeGuy [smiley=smart.gif] !

I'm still a little confused [smiley=dizzy2.gif] ! Are you talking about sort of quarantining my return pump(sponge barriers)??? It seemed like such a little problem, I'm feeling pretty stupid now!

7. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

I use a piece of sponge under the return of my skimmer the water hits the sponge above the water line in the sump and tricles into it. This also helps with the noise the splashing makes. I used to cover the return pump but didn't like that as is seemed to block any pods and such from getting thrown back into the tank from the sump. The hagan Aquaclear sponges work great I think the 500 is the largest then cut to fit, Just set it in place and see what happens if it helps then find a way to hold it there

8. Click Here!

9. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

I would address the problem quickly though as to prevent air bubbles from affecting fish like air trapped behind the eye.

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=CowboyUp link=board=Protein;num=1075181975;start=0#4 date=01/27/04 at 22:59:14]Thanks Matt- MasterKingfishSuperAquariumKnowledgeGuy [smiley=smart.gif] !

I'm still a little confused  [smiley=dizzy2.gif] !  Are you talking about sort of quarantining my return pump(sponge barriers)???  It seemed like such a little problem, I'm feeling pretty stupid now!

CowboyUp  [smiley=cowboy.gif][/quote]
    You can buy the sponges at the LFS where they sell the sumps, You can get both for $10-15 bucks.
    You should have like a 3 inch space between the bio ball tower and the sump area where your pump and skimmer are located. right?
    something like this--
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh and LOL why are you thanking Matt?  LOL

11. CowboyUp

CowboyUp Fire Worm

Thanks for the ideas Phil. I may have to put on my tool belt to get this problem figured out [smiley=builder2.gif] ! I never thought about bubbles behind the eyes, good point!

12. CowboyUp

CowboyUp Fire Worm

Oooops, sorry Mr.AquariumKnowledgeSmartReeferManJackOfAllTradesSigMasterNautilusDude! My props to you! My sump looks a little different than the pictures you enclosed. Now is one of the times I wish I could do some drawings like you! Try to follow me: The left side of my sump is where the bio-ball tower is. The water trickles down through the top over the bio-balls. I have about a 3inch space between the bottom of the balls and the bottom of the sump. The right half of the sump is where the skimmer and return pump are located, side by side. I guess I could put a divider between the two. Right now the skimmer return spills into the same area where the return pump sits. I took your advice and wrapped some of that blue fiber around my skimmer return for now. It has helped a lot.

Thanks again,