Bubble Magnus 105

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Little Nellie, Mar 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Little Nellie

Little Nellie Plankton

Just got this new skimmer, thought to share what I think of this with all.

I know Bubble Magnus offers different versions of skimmers. Thinking ahead, in the event if the pump fail and unable to obtain a replacement, decided to get the BM105 instead of the BM100 because of the external pump arrangement. Paid $160 plus shipping from a US retailer off E-bay.

Even with the hard to understand instruction, the diagram is good enough to completed assemble of the unit, it is a well built unit. Knowing that skimmer normally require a few days of break in as my last one did, I was surprise to see skimmate the very next morning. Less than 12 hours in service.

This unit is sensitive to water level of the sump where it is place. The spec call for a depth of 9" to 13" for optimum performance. I am running mine at 12". I have not tested this unit at any other water level to see if there is any different. I adjusted the height of the bubble with the "water output adjustment tube" to where the bubble just about to hit the bottom of the collection cup. With that setting, it produce "green tea" skimmate.

Be careful with this adjustment tube, if you turn this tube counter clockwise too much / reducing the water out to the sump, bubble/water will over flow to the cup and out of the adjustment tube. If you already have skimmate in the collection cup, it will dump into the sump. Good thing I was playing with the adjustment just to see what it does after I power the unit up.

I also tested to see what happen on power out restart. No action is needed to get this unit going again. No sucking or blowing is needed to the air intake line.

Anyway, here are a couple of picture of the unit.

LN

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

nice showing of that skimmer, what size tank is it on?

4. Little Nellie

Little Nellie Plankton

main tank is 150 with about 25 gallons of water in a 55 sump.

LN

5. Small Frag

Small Frag Plankton

It would be good if you spelled the product name right though ;-)