BashSea of Reef Octo?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by leighton1245, Oct 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

which skimmer would you get i have been read alot about both skimmer companies and they both look great but bashsea looks pretty innovative.

2. Click Here!

3. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

BashSea BLU DEMON all the way!
    The smallest BLu Demon is rated for a heavy bioload in a 220 and will only set you back about 450$. These things are beutiful, lots of detail involved. Look at the adjustment knob, a radioactive symbol. Or the down tube with the BashSea logo... This thing is well built as well, you don't even notice the seams.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  4. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I am 50/50 on my decision.

5. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

Reef Octopus ALL THE WAY! :)

6. leighton1245

I was looking at the twisted skimmers. The 30" one wont fit in my stand lol

7. leighton1245

Why do you say RO?

8. Click Here!

9. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Well the bottom line is it is a tweaked Beckett skimmer. I can't really say I have anything against Bashsea, but I don't necessarily buy into the hype either. Hate how companies throw the word "efficiency" around.

Becketts seem to be better suited for very large tanks to process a lot of water. But regardless of size of tank, the Becketts need big pumps and eat a lot of power which also means heat. I'm sure it's know I'm not a fan, but never have I said they do not work well.

The twisted part... dwell time, bubble plates... meh. I think skimmers are about as good as a bubble machine is going to get. Small tweaks here and there are not huge advances in performance. Even cones. Even I don't see the need to part with piles of money on sexy skimmers anymore. I lean toward good bang for buck, low noise, low operating cost and heat (power) and consistent performance. Plug it in and forget about it.... for those reasons I take Octo.

10. leighton1245

Very informative thank you powerman.

11. Shackman23

Shackman23 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Reef octopus.. i love mine, best purchase ive made for my tank to date.. ive went through 3 skimmers before this one, and its working better then both my others combined, and churns 1000gph of water and picks all the crud out love it!

12. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid