Seachem Purigen

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by GraviT, Oct 7, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

Just picked up a 100ml pouch of Purigen tonight and am wondering if anybody else has experience with the stuff. It was highly reccomended by a fellow reefer at a LFS.

Description from Seachem:
    "A premium synthetic adsorbent that is unlike any other filtration product. It is not a mixture of ion exchangers or adsorbents, but a unique macro-porous synthetic polymer that removes soluble and insoluble impurities from water at a rate and capacity that exceeds all others, even HyperSorb™, by over 500%. Purigen™; removes proteins, nitrites and nitrates, ammonia, and a broad spectrum of organics, yet its impact on trace elements is minimal. It significantly raises redox. It polishes water to unparalleled clarity. Like HyperSorb™, Purigen™ darkens progressively as it exhausts, and is easily renewed by treating with household bleach. A 100 mL bag of Purigen™ purifies and polishes up to 100 gallons of water for up to six months. Purigen™ is designed for both marine and freshwater use."

I'll keep ya posted!

2. Click Here!

3. GraviT

Hrmm, guess I'm the guinea pig eh? ;D

4. Dave_J

Dave_J Astrea Snail

I'm using it in my 46 gal reef tank.

My LFS called it the "Protein Skimmer in a Bag".

I used it before I got my AquaC Remora skimmer - it seemed to doing what the vendor claims it does.

It works pretty well as far as I can tell - Since I have been using it since I added livestock to my tank. I don't have a "control sample" - I don't have a before and after comparison. I still use it today - I figure it won't do any harm.

5. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I have some of it. I like it. I have in my 29 gal reef tank. I use to have it my freshwater Red Devil tank. I seem to help keep the algea down in the Devil tank. It actually REGENS amazing. Since the regens includes bleach you don't have to worry about transferring parasites. I do question the "500%" more capacity than other media. The 100ml pouch is rated for 100 gal tank but can't remove my nitrate out of a 29g reef :p 8 of 10 for me

6. GraviT

Yeah, I've done the regen thing and it looks good as new! It doesn't really seem to have much of an impact on the nitrates in my 55 gal reef either. Water looks good though, not sure if it's the Purigen or not. What the heck, it isn't hurting so I'll keep using it I suppose. ;D

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I've been using the stuff for years and it kicks butt. Haven't had a nitrate yet since I added it to my media regimine :)

8. Click Here!

9. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

So I guess who ever flamed it didn't post. Weak!

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Anyone use it in a reactor like a phosban reactor. I would love to here that.

J

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

This is Seachems reply to my question with regards to using Prigen in a Phosban reactor. If anyone is interested

J