ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2010, 08:13 AM
Plankton

Skin: Mint
frank00026 is on a distinguished road

gallery
Default Trash Can for RO/DI water?

Hi everyone! This is my first post. I recently purchased a RO/DI unit, and a plastic trash can at my local Wal-Mart to store the water in. I made a small amount of salt water and scrubbed the inside of the can with the water and extra salt. The can still smells like plastic, and I'm wondering if I should use it at all. Any comments?
Thanks, Frank
frank00026 is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 07-04-2010, 08:27 AM   #2
Plankton

kiaxtreme is on a distinguished road

gallery

We've been using a trash can also for 3 months. We do a water change approximately every 10 days. No problems so far.
kiaxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
Kole Tang

gazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 

gallery

Plastic trash cans unless they are Rubbermaid food grade cans will and do leach Phosphates into the water and from what understand they do it rather fast. Here is a link to an article by Eric Borneman which explains what I mean.

And to be honest with you I really am not interested in spending anywhere between 200 to 250 for a plastic garbage can. My suggestion is to get either a Brine tank for a water softener which is made of a totally different kind of plastic that doesn't leach anything or a portable water tank either of which can be purchased for less than 100 bucks.

Last edited by gazog; 07-04-2010 at 10:07 AM.
gazog is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-04-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
Great White Shark

Robman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond reputeRobman has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

I use a food grade Rubbermaid Brute 30 gal. It is yellow. I got it at a local restaurant supply. I think I paid around 30.00 and went to Home Depot to get the wheel dolly that it fits on. Also around 30.00

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww215/rmeder/AutoTop002.jpg
Robman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
Kole Tang

gazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond reputegazog has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robman View Post
I use a food grade Rubbermaid Brute 30 gal. It is yellow. I got it at a local restaurant supply. I think I paid around 30.00 and went to Home Depot to get the wheel dolly that it fits on. Also around 30.00
Thats Cheap, I didn't realize that that price was for 4 so they are 50 to 65 buck which isnt too bad. I still like my Brine tanks, I have 2 both are 50 gallons. One for salt water and one for RODI.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
Giant Squid

schackmel has a reputation beyond reputeschackmel has a reputation beyond reputeschackmel has a reputation beyond reputeschackmel has a reputation beyond reputeschackmel has a reputation beyond reputeschackmel has a reputation beyond reputeschackmel has a reputation beyond reputeschackmel has a reputation beyond reputeschackmel has a reputation beyond reputeschackmel has a reputation beyond reputeschackmel has a reputation beyond repute

contributor 

gallery

yep get food grade brute trash cans or like gazoog says tank
schackmel is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-04-2010, 11:36 AM   #7
bje
Long-fin Bannerfish

Skin: Dark
bje has a reputation beyond reputebje has a reputation beyond reputebje has a reputation beyond reputebje has a reputation beyond reputebje has a reputation beyond reputebje has a reputation beyond reputebje has a reputation beyond reputebje has a reputation beyond reputebje has a reputation beyond reputebje has a reputation beyond reputebje has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazog View Post
Plastic trash cans unless they are Rubbermaid food grade cans will and do leach Phosphates into the water and from what understand they do it rather fast. Here is a link to an article by Eric Borneman which explains what I mean.

And to be honest with you I really am not interested in spending anywhere between 200 to 250 for a plastic garbage can. My suggestion is to get either a Brine tank for a water softener which is made of a totally different kind of plastic that doesn't leach anything or a portable water tank either of which can be purchased for less than 100 bucks.
that article by eric borneman was eye opening. i was planning to use a rubbermaid brute. not anymore. ive been using a rubbermaid storage container for mixing to date and usually test the source water occassionaly. havent seen PO4 yet, but oh well ill get a brine tank or something else. the most interesting thing in his article was about IO Salt.

my tanks been up for 6 months. i had originally started with another brand of salt until my LFS started carrying IO Reef Crystals for cheaper. since i started using it, and i really didnt put 2 and 2 together here until i read the article, i have been getting mini-cyano outbreaks! if i change my salt and the cyano goes away im so boycotting IO

edit: i started with coralife salt, then moved to red sea (so far the best from just a visual perspective on the health of the corals by comparison in salt mix), and now IO Reef Crystals
bje is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-04-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
bje
Long-fin Bannerfish

bje has a reputation beyond reputebje has a reputation beyond reputebje has a reputation beyond reputebje has a reputation beyond reputebje has a reputation beyond reputebje has a reputation beyond reputebje has a reputation beyond reputebje has a reputation beyond reputebje has a reputation beyond reputebje has a reputation beyond reputebje has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

so its safe to say then if its made of 100% FDA molded polyethylene its ok for water storage?
Old 07-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #9
Kole Tang

3reefer 

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by bje View Post
that article by eric borneman was eye opening. i was planning to use a rubbermaid brute. not anymore. ive been using a rubbermaid storage container for mixing to date and usually test the source water occassionaly. havent seen PO4 yet, but oh well ill get a brine tank or something else. the most interesting thing in his article was about IO Salt.

my tanks been up for 6 months. i had originally started with another brand of salt until my LFS started carrying IO Reef Crystals for cheaper. since i started using it, and i really didnt put 2 and 2 together here until i read the article, i have been getting mini-cyano outbreaks! if i change my salt and the cyano goes away im so boycotting IO

edit: i started with coralife salt, then moved to red sea (so far the best from just a visual perspective on the health of the corals by comparison in salt mix), and now IO Reef Crystals
I have used nothing but Reef Crystals since I set my tanks up, never had a problem.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:32 PM   #10
bje
Long-fin Bannerfish

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazog View Post
I have used nothing but Reef Crystals since I set my tanks up, never had a problem.
then i wont attribute the recent cyano outbreak to that

Click Here!