starting up marine tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by TC, Dec 31, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TC

TC Plankton

Hi to everyone. This is my first time posting. It is a great site to look for info. First of all, I don't have a marine tank yet. Looking to set up one. I collected a few used equipment but still can't make up my mind that I am ready to mix some salt water. Not sure if anyone have that feeling before they startup. Here is what I got. Need advice on whether I am ready yet or not. Also, choice of tank size is my issue. Suggest please. By the way, I have spent last month to hanging around marine fist shop to hunt for used parts.
    - a 75 gal tank with overflow drilled (48Lx0Hx12W)
    - a seaclone 100 skimmer (seems to work)
    - a marine land 400 biowheel
    - a prism skimmer
    - a 802, 201 and 401 pump
    - a bucket of IO salt (2/3 full)
    - a 300W submersible heater
    - a couple pumps (unknown)
    - a bottle of kalkwasser mix
    - a bottle of calcium (liquid)
    - a few of half used supplements

It sound cazy for me to collect all these but not have a marine tank. Especially the one who sell me the pumps, he gave me all sort of things that he didn't need as he getting out from marine tank.

Here is my issue, should i make use of the 75 gallon tank? It's alot of money to spend for sand, live rock etc... to get it going. Also, lighting seems to be an issue? I am more into getting a 29 or even a 20 gallon tank to try out firt. Anyone have any idea about Southdown sand, is it same as reef sand that is saling in fish store with the ph buffering ability. Local fish store guys said they don't even want to try it out. Seems different from what I heard.

Thanks
    Ted :D.

2. Click Here!

3. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

welcome to the forum

if you can go with the 75 your better off a smaller tank can flucuate more and can be much more difficult especially for a beginner. you would be able to use either the seaclone or the prizm skimmer you wont need both. you could add the marine land filter and definilty the power heads and the heater. for sand you can go with southdown its a dry aragonite sand and cheaper. just get a pound or 2 of live sand and seed it with that. doing that will save some money rather than all live sand.it does help with buffering. heres some good beginner sites for you to read and help you out.

reef keeping 101

ive rock faq

nirtogen cycle

sand bed faq

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi
    If I am using a 75 gallon tank, can I add 20-30 pounds of LR with 10-20 pounds of dry base rock to start? Or i need to add 75-100 lbs of rock all at the same time. My understanding is that we need 1-2 lbs of rock per gallon of tank to achieve a bio filter effect.

Thanks.

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Welcome! I see you have posted as a member TC, but didn't log in and now you are posting as Ted Chong. Make sure you log in and post as a member so you can accumulate 20 posts and qualify for the clams direct raffle.

It is best to add all of your rock and cure your tank at one time if at all possible. If you intend to add LR in the future it will need to be cured or the LR will create an ammonia spike.

Good luck and let us know what else you have questions with.

6. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

you can start and add your lr and base rock together and cycle it. if by chance you cant get all the rock at once because of availability or cost you can add later. if its more dry base rock you can probably just add it but if its rock bought off the internet or any shipped rock it should be cured seperatly in a different container first. also if it is fresh fully cured lr that you buy and bring strait home it can be added then. i did this with some of my rock but it was out of the cured tank and in the home tank within an hour or so and had no major effects on the tank.

7. TC

TC Plankton

Hi to all.
    Yesterday I just cleaned up the 75 gallon tank. It seems too much for me to start with. I am looking for a 20-30 gallon tank from local fish store. By the way, anyone in Michigan area looking for Southdown Sand. I got 2 bags from Home Depot. There are a few Home Depot stores still stocking some. One is at Fenton (have approx. 1 skid there), Michigan. Hope that can help others.
    1. Anyone can suggest what is the best small size tank I can get so I can make use of PC lighting (lengthwise) when I upgrade to bigger tank? Which is better 24 or 30 inches? I saw a 20 gallon long is 30 inches but seems only 29 gallon is 30 inches lengthwise.
    2. How to get rid of dry deposit that is inside an old skimmer I got. Any chemical I can use? Can't rub it out even I use a knif to scratch it?

thanks.

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

29 gallon long should be OK. 30" is what mine is.

10. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

for the dry deposit inside the skimmer you might try a vinegar and water mix. just make sure you rinse it really well but it seems to work good to remove the calcium build up and hard film that gets on things and some good hot water afterwards

11. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

Hi TC and everyone in the forum.

This is also my first time posting ..... I too have been "bitten" by the salt water tank bug. These tanks are simply spectacular sights. I just bought a 120 gallon tank which will be delivered to my house next Thursday and I'm feeling kind of nervous about setting it up. I intend to keep only fish in the tank with the small possibility of maybe adding a few corals later on. I have nothing in terms of equipment yet as I want to do some research before purchasing anything as I don't want to spend money on things which I may not need, but I do want to buy the proper quality equipment.

My only question for now is under what heading do I look to for guidance; Reef Tanks, Marine Tanks or Salt Water Tanks (I presume there is a difference) and sorry for the silly question.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Happy New Year to all ! :)

12. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Starting with a small tank isn't a bad idea. Although if you are going for the smaller tank size, you will not be able to keep fish that need swimming room. All those supplements will come in handy if you start reef, just read up on them and dose safely, and test for what you add! Dont add calcium to a young tank, cycle it first. :p

Before you start anything, you should ask yourself what road you want to take, the exciting world of a reef aquarium or fish only with live rock (FOWLR); aggressive fish or peaceful fish (if going FOWLR). Then go from there. ;D

I have a 30g reef btw. It's coming along very nice! Hopefully I can post some pics soon.