Shrimp Question

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by bluetang08, Nov 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bluetang08

bluetang08 Purple Spiny Lobster

Im new to the hobby and was wondering what shrimp would be compatible with my fire shrimp. I have a 125g 6' wide tank so there should be room but the reason i ask is because i used to also have a coral banded shrimp but he sadly died. Im not 100% but fairly sure the fire shrimp killed him during the night. I have been hesitant since to get any more shrimp. I was wondering if i should just try another coral banded or maybe just get a couple more fire shrimp. Also i recently (last week) added a scarlet hawkfish so i know that limits my possibilities, i was a little worried about the hawk with my current fire shrimp but the fish is small (1.5"), and the fire shrimp is large (2"), so im keeping my fingers crossed. Any input or advice is appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

i would for sure keep an eye on that hawkfish once he starts to get bigger and the appetite grows b/c u dont want that fire shrimp to become a nice meaty snack for him. I'm not the best on shrimp and I'm sure other members will chime in but I suppose you could try maybe another frie shrimp or a cleaner shrimp maybe

4. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I would go with the cleaner shrimp. They are great shrimp as far as helping to keep ich and other things down.

5. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Fire shrimp will fight amongst themselves if kept more than one, unless a mating pair is established. As far as I know it is impossible to determine the sex of fire shrimp, so I wouldn't try it. I would try a peppermint shrimp if anything, as they are the cheapest shrimp.

6. stonewilled

stonewilled Feather Duster

Don't get peppermint shrimp unless you enjoy target feeding them every ten minutes to bribe them off eating your clean-up crew.

Personally ~ I wouldn't get any shrimp for a tank that has a hawkfish in it. The hawkfish is going to think you're feeding him when you put a new shrimp in there! I really thought I liked shrimp when I first got a tank. That thought cost me a saturday catching all the damned peppermint shrimp I had put in my 75g. Peps are friggin Crack heads for food--the most opportunistic inverts I've had experience with.

7. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

shrimp are hermaphroditic so they will actually make a "pair" that fertilize each other and also carry eggs at the same time!
    so a fire shrimp would probably be ok... but cleaner shrimps always bring a lot of activity to a tank so you could go with one or two of them.
    peppermint shrimp are nocturnal so you probably will only see it while feeding in the day.

8. Click Here!

9. bluetang08

So do you think the Fire shrimp killed my CB or not? And could i get a diamond goby if i didn't start with live sand?

10. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

i would find it more likely if your CBS killed your fire shrimp!!! Just venturing upon my experiences, the CBS is more aggressive than fire shrimp so i would say no, your fire probably didnt kill your CBS...

and for the diamond goby, i assume you have crushed coral?

11. bluetang08

Yes crushed coral about 3-4" deep but it was not live when i started and i got a diamond goby for my second fish back in march bc the lfs said he would be fine and he died after about four days of what i assumed to be starvation so i haven't got another one, but they are so cool that i would love to have one for my last fish.

12. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

well they cant sift crushed coral so you would need to get it to eat completely frozen/flake food... i would say that you dont have too good of a chance at keeping one alive without sand because they have pretty demanding metabolisms. Ive never had one so you might want to wait for someone with experience to confirm that 100% though :)