RODI Help please

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jack straw, Jan 28, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jack straw

jack straw Plankton

Hey all, first post, been stalking for a while but finally have a question that I have to have weighed in on to proceed on my build.

I'm going to get the 75GPD BRS RODI unit and set it up next to my washing machine in my basement. I'm planning on using a Y-valve connection with ball valves to the input of my RODI, and other for washer.

My concern is with the RODI drain.

If I absolutely have to I will just put the drain in the washing machine manually when making water. As my tank is a 55 gallon and I'm thinking I won't need to making a whole lot of water when I do, not enough to overflow a washing machine at least. (Do most washing machines have a drain so if it is off and it reaches a certain level the drain kicks in?)

The washing machine drain is the typical plastic drainage hose but is clamped together with a thick ~3/4" black rubber hose which runs to the main house drainage line. I was thinking perfect, I'll just put a hole in the washing machine plastic drainage line and feed the RODI drain line about 3 feet down the washing machine plastic drainage line and zip tie and I'm done.

But upon further inspection I notice that the washing machine drainage line starts at the bottom of washer (the floor) and runs about 3 feet up to meet the thick black rubber hose, and then another foot up for thick black rubber hose to get to main house drainage line...

I'm imagining there could be some serious backflow pressure there, am I right?

Would there be a problem with me going along with my plan to feed the RODI drain line 3 feet into the washing machine drain line, even though it goes 4 feet up to meet the main house drainage line?

Maybe some sort of check valve?...

Thanks for your help, I appreciate any feedback.

2. Click Here!

3. mdlinkous

mdlinkous Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Me personally, I would not attempt in messing with the drain on the washer. You could try running water with a water hose, etc. backwards thru the drain line to see if the washer fills up. This would check to see if there is any type of one way valve in the drain line. If it fills up the washer, then running the RODI waste line would work. If you had some sort of rubber bushing or something to run the line thru would prevent leaking. I dont think the pressure would blow it out.

As far as the in line.... I used a saddle valve and clamped it onto my copper water line. It works just fine. Just like a ice maker kit.

If you havent bought your RODI unit yet... I just bought one from Abundant Water Supply online for around $139 (75gpd) and it came with a free TDS meter

4. jack straw

jack straw Plankton

To make something clear, which I'm not sure if is or not, I am not trying to re-use the RODI water as washing machine water, would prefer a more automated way to just dispose of the water without manual intervention.

So I could see pumping water into the washing machine drain line to see if the washer fills up, but I would think I would be hoping for it to NOT fill up, and that there be some sort of built in check valve. So that if I hook the RODI drain line into the washing machine drain line, and washing machine was off, the RODI drain wouldnt overflow the washer. (Betting that gravity and possibly a check valve would prevent this from happening on washing machine)

I'm thinking that if I zip tied the RODI drain line to the washing machine plastic drain line, and fed ~3 feet of the RODI drain line into the washing machine plastic drain line, that I shouldnt have to worry about the RODI drain line coming out of the washing machine plastic drain line.

I guess what I am concerned about is this washing machine plastic drain line is connected to the main house drainage line to the sewer. If the RODI drain line is spliced into this washing machine plastic drain line, won't there be back pressure coming from the main house drainage line that would go up the RODI drainage line and possibly effect the RODI unit?

Or is this back pressure minor and something the RODI units have been built to handle? so I shouldnt worry...?

Thanks agian for all your help.

5. mdlinkous

mdlinkous Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

oh heck, I misunderstood... there are people who try to reuse the water. Sorry.

I'd slip that hose right down along with the washer drain. Should be room... it is a small line. Most washer drains have a hook type end that go over the house drain. Back pressure should not be a problem if the waste line from the RODI runs down the drain a few inches.

Your plan will work just fine