RO/DI water? what is it, do i need it?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by powerpoint, Feb 22, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. powerpoint

powerpoint Plankton

right now i'm using tap water mixed with a water conditional left overnight, then i mix the salt in and heat the water to temperature.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

For a fish only tank. I'd say you don't need it although it would help.
    For a reef tank with corals and strong light, I'd recommend it. It will help with sensitive corals and to keep the algae down.

I found it very difficult to keep reef tanks in balance until I got an R.O. filter.

Check out 3reef sponsor www.airwaterice.com for really good deals on R.O. units. They also have a digital T.D.S. (total dissolved solids) meter at a very good price so you can test your tap water out and see what's up.

2 people like this.
  4. NUHTTY

NUHTTY Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Another thing with tap water is that it contains substances (phosphorous, for example) which can accelerat the growth of nuisance algae in your tank.

In my opinion, the investment in an RO/DI unit is well worth the upfront cost.

You can get a great unit for under $100.00 on ebay by doing a search for eBay user ID FilterDirect. They are located in California, USA>

1 person likes this.
  5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

I always used RO water in the past, but the last 2 set ups I didn't bother and I must say that I have not noticed any difference.

Powerpoint, if you are looking for a local supplier http://www.waterfilters.com.au/

John

6. NUHTTY

NUHTTY Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Maybe your water is cleaner than we get here in the states!! :)

7. DTSWONG

DTSWONG Plankton

i use D/I for one year so far so good it a must to me ...

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. alarsuel

alarsuel Astrea Snail

I used regular water at first with less than acceptable results (still fighting red slime 5 months later). Now I use R/O D/I water from the store ($1 a gallon). However, eventhough this is a good price, after a handful of water changes and topoffs I have already wasted the money I could have used to buy a unit of my own up front, and I wouldn't have to run to the store if I need some extra topoff in between normal purchases.

Hope this helps,

Aaron

10. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

well my lfs used to sell me their personal ro water...now they dont make it anymore for some reason...lol so now im buying 2.5 gal drinking water lol :) gotta love the sparklets...anyway...my reef is so good 2 me :)

11. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

do u need to declorify (sp) bottled water? i do but im not sure if i need 2

12. aquariumgirl

aquariumgirl Plankton

I use conditioned tap water for partial water changes, and top off with bottle water, that way I dont have to store buckets of conditioned water in my small apartment. My tanks are doing great!