Peppermint Shrimp and Goby

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by SaltwaterNoob17, Jul 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SaltwaterNoob17

SaltwaterNoob17 Plankton

I bought a peppermint shrimp a few weeks ago, and a few days ago I bought a yellow watchman goby. They seem to be getting along okay, but when I feed the goby (I'm feeding him brine and mysis shrimp), my peppermint shrimp comes out from his cave in the live rock, climbs onto the goby's back, and appears to "dance" on the goby's back for about 20 seconds. The goby seems a tad bit irritated, but he doesn't try to get away from the shrimp. Is the shrimp cleaning him? Is the shrimp upset that I'm feeding the goby shrimp? Should I be concerned?

2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

My peppermint and watchmen act pretty strange together too. Watchmen are known for forming a symbiotic relationship with pistol shrimp I think it might work with a peppermint too from what Iv seen.

4. SaltwaterNoob17

SaltwaterNoob17 Plankton

Okay, good. That makes me feel better...

5. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

most gobies have this relationship trait with pistol shrimp. Since pistol shrimp are blind- they will actually use the gobie as their set of eyes, and in return they receive the protection of the shrimp. One of the very spectacular symbiotic relationships of our hobby.
    However, not too sure how it all works out with peppermint shrimp!

6. McSiD

McSiD Plankton

That's too funny. :)