Newbie working on first build

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jmann124, Apr 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

Hey all, I'm new to the hobby and recently started working on my first build. It was going to be only a FOWLR, but after seeing more and more corals at the LFS, I know it will eventually be a full fledged reef tank with fish. I'll post some pics of my journey thus far. I'll also start another thread to document my build here at 3reef and I'll ask questions as I go. Trust me when I say, I'll ask ALOT of questions. I've been playing dumb in this hobby so as to not assume anything, thus making sure I get the most info that I can. Thanx for looking. A few pics attached. They are: custom overflow box that I made, custom sump that I made from a 20 long, 75g DT after I painted and drilled the back, 1 of 3 standpipes, and the frame for the custom cabinet that I'm building.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

If you're new to the hobby,then you're a fast learner as thats a great looking start to your setup,sweet sump as well and welcome to 3reef.

4. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

agreed with the above, you're off to a great start!! Looking forward to following your build thread, I was in the same boat as you last summer and also started with a 75g. You're gonna love it :) The people on this forum have helped me more than words can explain

5. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

I am a member on another forum and have been getting advice for about 2 months now. I also bought a used skimmer from a guy on another forum. He upgraded to a new one and sold me his Aquamaxx HOB1. I'll post a link to my build thread once I get it started.

6. hingedthinker

hingedthinker Fire Worm

Looking great man. I am a newb reefer too building my first tank. I like the stand. Did you use lag bolts?

7. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

Thanx, I used 8" deck screws.