Newbie Research Tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by ScubaNerd13, Nov 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ScubaNerd13

ScubaNerd13 Plankton

Hi guys,

I just wanted to say that I'd love any help you can give me on everything you know about these tanks. I'm starting my first tank for a school research project about clownfih sex change.

I'm planning on a 50-55 gallon aquarium, 20 false percula clownfish, a wet/dry filter, under gravel filter, protien skimmer, heater, and some osrt of substrate.
    I'd love any advice on other equipment, techniques, and fish lore.

2. Click Here!

3. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

I would not use a under gravel filter and with that many fish you will need a heck of a skimmer. ;)

4. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

Whoaaaaaa 20 clownfish? Slow down there cowboy.

First off, that many fish in a 55g is a lot. Too much. Here's some advice...I know others will be able to give you better more concise information but pick what you want from me!!

Do away with the under gravel filter. Not a good idea in salt water...Are you doing a fish only tank? Even if you are, you still have to let your tank cycle and all that jazz. When is your project due anyways...this would be a very expensive school project.

5. ScubaNerd13

ScubaNerd13 Plankton

This is a two year research project. Everything that I posted before is what my director advised, because he's had saltwater tanks before. He told me to ask about the filters.... I'm glad I did :)
    As for the 20 fish, I looked at some of the "fish in aquarium calculators", and they all said I would be OK. I know that I wouldn't be adding them all at one time, obviously, but what other recommendations can you make for me? It is going to be a fish only tank, no live rock or anything. I know that I have to let it cycle, so tha's why I wanted to get it started before the holidays. All help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  6. devlzluv

devlzluv Ritteri Anemone

hate to say it but your going to run into problems with that many fish and absolutely no live rock. If I was you and wanted to put 20 clowns in a tank I would really go for at least a 90g and have minimum of 90lbs of LR to go with it to counter act all the poop and to clean up the tank. Hate to say it and I know someone else will back me on this but your askign for trouble but comign here was the right choice and to ask. Make sure you have a heck of a skimmer to support all the poop machines in there!

7. ReefDaily

ReefDaily Skunk Shrimp

If you put 20 clownfish into that tank you're going to fail :)

8. Click Here!

9. WuWu

WuWu Feather Star

its my understanding that undergravel filters "used to be" the way to go years ago but they are way out dated and not recamended IME

10. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

I have only seen 1 person ever successfully keep more than 4 or 5 clowns together in a tank for any length of time... and they were all added as newly hatched siblings and no adults in a 210 gallon tank if I remember right.

Mobert's 27 clowns

11. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Hey, welcome to 3reef! It sounds like you have an interesting project ahead of you, I hope you're able to pull together a working system with the help available on this site and others on the internet, they're all great resources. Hopefully you'll share the project with us, I"m sure more people than I am are interested in it.

20 clowns is possible in one tank but probably only as juveniles or with huge water volumes (hundreds of gallons), as they mature they will get more aggressive with each other and eventually will pair off with their mates and harass/kill the other clowns in the vicinity of the territory that they claim as their own. Depending on the age of the clowns and the length of the study this could obviously be more or less of an issue but if it's going to last for 2 or more years like you hinted at I would plan for the long haul with clowns pairing up, to be on the safe side.

If you really want to do a research project on clowns I would start here with your research, and read all the links available on the page, there is a lot of good information out there.
    The Clownfishes, Damsels of the subfamily Amphiprionae, Part 1

Also, it sounds like the techniques for maintaining saltwater aquariums that were recommended to you were common in the past, as mentioned previously. Although very successful tanks are kept with those methods today I think it's more of an issue of having expertise with those systems than it is for anyone just looking to setup a brand new system from scratch.

Here is a good page with a lot of relevant information on keeping marine aquariums, it's not quite the same as freshwater systems or marine systems of the past so I hope you would please make sure you understand the unique aspects of keeping marine fish before attempting it.
    SW Gen Index

Good luck! :)

12. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

OMG that tank is AMAZING.. that thread with all the anemones and clownfish.. oh god