New tank cycling

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Timberwerks, Aug 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Timberwerks

Timberwerks Plankton

Can a new tank cycle without lighting and skimmer? I've pretty much decided that my first tank will be the DSA Neo Nano. I plan to purchase the tank this fall but money for lighting, skimmer etc will be tight and will have to wait for a month or so after the tank arrives. Is it possible to start cycling the tank with sand and live rock without lighting or skimmer?

2. Click Here!

3. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

In fact, most people will tell you that it is preferable to cycle without a light or skimmer. So no problem - go ahead. But you will definitely want a skimmer before you add any fish.

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Definitely Timberworks

you dont need either the light or the skimmer until you have live stock in there
    a skimmer would have nothing much to do anyway until you tank starts being stocked up
    and lights are often left off until cycle is over and stocking begins anyway

Steve

5. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Most people prefer not to run a skimmer during the initial cycle for the reason that when your bethnic invert population starts to grow and multiply the skimmer will be sucking ALOT of its larvae out of the water column. BUT I have also seen it go the other way, have the skimmer rocking full boar to pull as much gunk out that dies off as possible.

Lighting is best kept off for at least alittle while, esp if you are planning on using "un"cured live rock. If lets say one was to order live rock on line or something, they plop it in their tank and have the lights on, the die back that naturally occurs on rock(sponges, bryzoans and so on) will create a fair amount of NH3 and other organic wastes, having that light on can really create a wicked algal bloom, which most prefer to avoid...
    Many people think it takes longer for tanks to cycle, but I beg to differ, or maybe I live on the edge.... If you use LR and LS and you will already have a jump start on the cycle... I think the reason why people's cycles last so long is they add too many fish too quickly. Believe it or not the beneficial bacteria will grow pretty quick...

1 person likes this.
  6. Timberwerks

Timberwerks Plankton

Wow, thanks for the fast replies. This is a great forum.

7. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

+1 agree with the doc. no skimmer and light really needed. Get that tank and fill it up! But post pics! We all want to see that think running.