New to hobby, questions that I have.

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Lack-There-Of, Jun 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lack-There-Of

Lack-There-Of Bristle Worm

Hey all, I am currently in the process of setting up a 50 gallon fowlr, that will eventually contain some softies ( don't know what one yet i'm looking at maybe a devil's hand for one of them) and possibly an anenome as my center peice, but thats down the road a bit :cheesy:. For now I am buying the 700 gph overflow box from glass-holes in the next few days along with a mag 9.5 for a 30 gallon sump, ( buying the mag 9.5 to allocate for the loss in head) and the 3/4" loc-line return(through the glass). Just wondering what would be better to use pvc or flex tubing? Also when I set up my sump, what sizes will I have to give for the return area and the protein skimmer? does it only have to be big enough to fit the equipment with a little wiggle room? that way I can maximize the size of my refugium. Thanks thats the questions that I can think of now haha.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Dyonopses1

Dyonopses1 Skunk Shrimp

Is that a Rena canister filter plumbing I spy there :p

4. Lack-There-Of

haha yes it is, it's the xp2

5. Lack-There-Of

Here's a picture of my stand that I have made, just finished last week.

Attached Files:

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hi and Welcome to 3reef.

I fail at plumbing. :-(

But I like your profile name.

7. Dyonopses1

Dyonopses1 Skunk Shrimp

Haha. I have the xp2 as well. You have some good flexibility with media in it. I use a phosphate remover and carbon + some bio stars. Just remember to clean it often!! (or else ppl will tell you to trash it). It moves alot of water and I find it helpful for mechanical filtration as well. Good luck :)

8. Click Here!

9. Lack-There-Of

Thanks Coralline :), and yea it's an excellent pump, love the priming on it and the different heads on the return give you a bit of flexibility personally liking the spray bar in the corner. going to ask a question don't know if it will be stupid, but would I be able to use the filter as a pump instead of an actual pump? like just have the pump on the side of the sump? If not it's fine haha I'll just use it next year for a freshwater build of give it to the ladyfriend.

10. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Welcome to 3reef.

In regard to your questions, plumbing material is mostly just personal preference. Both are commonly used and work fine. They both have their ups and downs, in my opinion.

Sch. 40 PVC is rigid, easy to cement together, parts are easily available. But the hard curves of a 90* or 45* elbow worry some about loss in turnover rate of the return pump due to head pressure. I don't think it's a big deal myself. I have always used PVC.

But on my next tank I will likely use flex pipe. It doesn't need to be glued, but instead is all dry fitted using hose clamps and barb connections. You can use threaded barb fittings when switching b/w PVC and flex tubing in the same line (eg., where tubing meets the return pump). The only downfall, I think, to using flex tubing is the possibility of algae in the line (unless you get the darker color tubing). Another issue is having something to clamp it to so the overflow line is rigid when it is at the sump. There is a part that works for this I've seen before, but can't remember what it is called at the moment.

Your plans sound great. I'll definitely be following along with the build.

11. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

You could use the filter in conjunction with your sump if you'd like. I use put some media in it, like Dyonopses1 does with his. Just use activated carbon, GFO, chemi-pure, purigen or the like. You could run it off a small pump, or possibly tee off your return and have it run the xp2 as well.

Your sump return section can be as small as you want. Max out the space in your sump and use it for your refugium. Buy an automated top-off system to keep up with evaporation (this will occur in the return section) as salinity level increases (use RODI water to top off).

12. Lack-There-Of

Thanks for the replies! I'll be ordering my stuff tomorrow from glass-holes, I'll more enlikely go with the flex tubing for my return just for simplicity sake, and just use pvc on my overflow that way I can throw in a union and have a T to bring the majority of the water to the protein skimmer and some to the refugium ( 600 gph would be to much flow for the refug I think haha )