new clowns aren't eating the flakes

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by aness2323, Sep 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aness2323

aness2323 Astrea Snail

First livestock addition to my nano. Tried feeding them some flakes and there was no interest whatsoever. Anyone have some tips for feeding. Are there any brands of food that are better than others.

2. Click Here!

3. dpruitt7450

dpruitt7450 Bubble Tip Anemone

Hard 2 say... How long have they been in the tank?

4. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

How long have you had them?

Were they eating in the store? And what?

You can try some live brine if they don't eat soon.

I feed new life spectrum pellets that they love along with frozen. My clowns eat anything really

5. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

Get ya some frozen mysis and/or laced brine.

As for brands, hell yes there are differences. We prefer Omega One. Imo, they make the best flake food on the market.

6. aness2323

aness2323 Astrea Snail

Not sure what they were eating. I've had them alittle more than 24 hours. I got some ocean nutrition prime and tried a small amount. They didn't get near it.

7. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

+1 same here

8. Click Here!

9. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

24 hours is nothing to get excited about. I have on several occasions purchased "healthy" fish that would not eat for over a week. I would not be concerned until you have reached that one week mark. Then you might want to try garlic suplements etc. IMHO these fish are still adjusting to their new environment and owner. Give them some time to settle down. Dont throw a lot of food in there that will just make your water bad.

10. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Usually within the first day or two fish will not eat. They may nibble a bit but they are still in shock from the moving around. Imagine, You are siting calmly in your living room, drinking a beer, and suddenly you're snatched out of the house, tossed in a weird room, (with no beer), and you see doritos tossed around the floor....would you simply say "Hey, I think I'm kinda hungry now...." lol It's kinda like that to fish...;D

11. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

But if you hadn't eaten in 5+ days, those Doritos make look surprisingly yummy.

12. BioFreak

BioFreak Feather Duster

+1, I have had the same problem before so, also try adding the flakes at the same time as a frozen supplement. Doing this will let the clowns know that the flakes are also food. They may not eat it right away but, eventually they get clued in.

1 person likes this.