Need some filter help.

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Tundraburg, Aug 22, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tundraburg

Tundraburg Bristle Worm

Ok, as some of you know i already got my light fixture. So now i need a few other questions answered.

I have a Pengiun 350 and it currently has two carbon cartridges. It has space to add 2 more cartridges or some media bags(maybe). I was wondering if some of you would recommend addind like a media bag with some other type of media, like ceramic tiles/Chemi pure/or something else but do not know which.

Also i was thinking to maybe changing the stock cartridges for some other ones. The pengiun 350 comes with Rite size C cartriges and i found these two others:

Bio3 Penguin Filter Cartridges (Aquarium Filter Media: Drs. Foster & Smith Bio3 Penguin Filter Cartridges)

*3-stage filtration in a single cartridge*Baffle floss bag prevents carbon from settling*Clamshell frame locks securely to contain mediaDisposable, baffle floss/carbon bag provides mechanical and chemical filtration and prevents carbon from settling. Also includes a reusable aerobic sponge for superior biological filtration and clamshell frame(s) for easy slide-in installation in Penguin filters. Fits Penguin 125 & 150, Regent Aquatech 10-20, Neptune 20, and Penguin 170, 200, 330, and 350.

and...

SuperCartridge SC5 (Aquarium Filter Media: SuperCartridge SC5)

Bio-ball type filtration greatly enhances ordinary filter performance. SuperCartridge can permanently replace your ordinary filter cartridge. Replace the wastetrap refill regularly for premium mechanical and chemical filtration. Use with Penguin 160, 170, 200, 300, 330, 350, and Aqua Tech 20, 20-40, 30, 30-60. Wastetrap refills also available.
    Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

From what Ive heard and learned from the experts around here, run carbon. Carbon carbon carbon, the others are gimmicks

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Carbon is important. But you can run carbon without a mechanical filtration system. In fact, the only filtration I run on my 75g is about 107lbs of LR and a filter sock that I clean twice weekly. My numbers are great. However, you will find differing opinions on this subject. I just think of mechanical filtration as a money pit......

.......in fact, I think if you were to look up the definition of SW tanks in the dictonary, it would say 'money pit'!!!!

Peace.......John.

5. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

that type of filter maybe good for fw but not sw, especially not a reef tank. your better off with a sump and a fuge.

6. Tundraburg

Tundraburg Bristle Worm

7. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

A refugium. It's a miniature tank that you attach to your tank (or put in your sump). It has a deep sandbed, some liverock and some macroalgae in it (either chaeto or caulerpa...lots of argument on which one is better...as long as you light it and it's growing chaeto is working fine for me). The macroalgae will absorb the nitrates and phosphates out of your water. I have a 25 gallon tank and a 2.5 gallon hang on the back (HOB) refugium with a 18W light on it. It's the Small CPR Aquafuge. Since you don't have a filter, if you want to stay with HOB, CPR makes a fuge/skimmer combo that is pretty good. Other than lights, I spent the most money on my fuge but it's worth it. When my Jebo (cheapo) skimmer broke, I went almost 2 weeks with no filtration whatsoever (no carbon either) and my water levels stayed stable.

If you set up a fuge or a sump/fuge combo make sure you don't freak out every time the algae builds up in it. Mine is a swamp. I take the top layer of algae off about once a week and then trim the chaeto when it gets too big for it's britches.

Gin

8. Click Here!

9. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

10. MTips18

MTips18 Purple Spiny Lobster

carbon isn't good it leaches what it picks up it is exhausted after about two weeks depending on bio load renew is the next best product for a somewhat carbon