Lighting system questions

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Tyslin, Jun 28, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tyslin

Tyslin Feather Duster

Hi Reefers,

I want to make a decision about what type of lighting system is best for my 90gal Tank. I want to be able to keep LPS, SPS, Corals, and my favorites Clams. My tank is 24 inches Deep with a DSB of 4 inches which gives me 21 inches of viewing space. Is a T5 lighting system good enough to penetrate to the substrate level so I can keep Clams like tridacna, crocea, T. maxima, and tridacnids? I pretty much want to put the clams on the substrate on top of a rock, what are your thoughts? is it also good enough to keep LPS ans SPS at the higher level of the tank?

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Hi tyslin,
    I am partial to halides, if you didn't know that by now! I have three different kinds of Tridacna's(Crocea, Maxima and Squamosa) and all three are doing great in my tank! I also have sps's and zoo's which do best under intense light for best color and growth with a bulb towards the blue end of the specrum!
    With a 24" deep tank, a stronger lighting scheme would be best IMO! I know that you have the flexibility to place corals etc. higher or lower within your tank for optimal results, but with my knowledge and experience with halides, I feel you and your livestock won't regret the halides!

4. Tyslin

Tyslin Feather Duster

Thanks Coral, What type of MH should I get, kelvin type wattage e.tc. works best.

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Again, this is just my opinion, and I know I will get different reaction from my answer...
    However, I think that 250 and even 400watt HQI DE halides will work great and are your best choice...And a bulb coloration somewhere in the 14000k-20000k range will be ideal!

6. Tyslin

Tyslin Feather Duster

So I should get 2-250 MH or 2-400 MH Bulbs that are 14 to 20k. So I am looking at between 500 to 800 watts, is that correct? Should I supplement with actinic bulbs?

7. DrHank

DrHank Plankton

I have a 110 gallon with 4 10k 54w T5 and I can tell you that I wish they were MH. In a 90gal like yours, I'd personally go with 2 400w MH. As far as spectrum it's a matter of choice. 10K is bright white, 14 K has a bluish/white, 20K would be very blue. I'd choose 400w over 250w due to the depth of your tank. Especially if you get 14K or 20K spectrum. JMO.

8. Click Here!

9. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i use t5 in my 55 gallon with great success.t5's are more ideal on a shallow 55 or 75 gallon tank.i'm sure you want metal halide,maybe t5's for your actinic.i use true blue actinic.

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

If you go with the 14000-20000k bulbs, you really don't have to accentuate the actinics as their is an immense amount of blue in the lightbulb.

11. DrHank

DrHank Plankton

That's right and I've yet to find a T5 Actinic that I like.

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Well T-5 suck period and you can hem and haw around it all day But you get yourself 2. 250 M/H's and 2. 48 inch VHO actinic and you can keep all you want of anything and you can not find a better lighting combo with todays lighting technology that will out do this set up. Now 2. 400's may be a little over the top But I helped a friend do his 75 Gal and He went that route 2 400 M/H;s with SPS 1400 k and tow URI super Actinic VHO's and s very happy . P/C's came and went as will the T-5's although a little better. But still lacking

And you can not have to much Actanics and with the VHO's I run them 16 hrs aday and that way I run my 14 K M/H just 7 hrs a day