I want to upgrade, but how?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by swagger87, Sep 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

My dreams come true....kinda...
    Ok, so i was browsing on Craigslist last night and i found something i couldnt believe:
    A 20 gal Long saltwater tank with a 'skilter' , powerhead, heater, lots of live rock, a gorgeous stand with a hood, extra working light bulbs/tubes, and live sand. All of this for $65 ($75 since i just had to have the liverock).
    First off, whas that a good bargain?
    And secondly Is there anything else im going to need to run this tank besides test kits?
    And thirdly, what is the safest way to move my critters that i have in my 12 gal to this new 20 gal? I know that the first step is TAKE IT SLOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!! (Thats gonna be stuck in my head forever!)

I appreciate any comments and tips. Thank you.
    Megan

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a pretty decent deal to me. What kind of lighting did it come with? Can you just let the new tank cycle while the existing is waiting?

1 person likes this.
  4. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

Im not sure of what the lighting is, all i know is:
    There are four lights
    each is in two sections (one half blue, the other is white)
    They say they are 65 Watts each.
    All are about 2 feet long.

I would love to let this new tank cycle for a couple of weeks before i move everything, but i dont have any room for it, unless i put it in the middle of the dining room, but then theres the problem of moving it into place after the old tank is taken down. (HEAVY!!! WOO!) Is there anything i could do that would make it less traumatic for my 4 damsels, 3 hermits, 3 peppermint shrimp, and choc chip starfish?

5. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I moved my 20 long from our utility room to the basement about 3 months ago, I MTY'd all but about 3 inches of water and 2 of us carried it down 18 stairs and put it on its new stand and then refilled it with the water I took out of it.

I would get a piece of 3/4 inch plywood, put it under it (for the move) fill it run till cycled then move it when its ready. It really not that hard. once you get it where you want it you simply slide it off the plywood (or not) onto your stand and refill.

1 person likes this.
  6. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

Oh wow, ok. How long should i let it cycle for? And am i going to need any more equipment to run this tank?
    Lol, is it normal to get so nervous?

7. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Actually, we're glad you're nervous. Means you're serious and you care. That's a good thing.

And those are Power Compact lights. 50/50 bulbs (half actinic and half (probably) 10000k)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

Are those good lights? Are they good for corals? (not that im going to attempt corals so prematurely)
    Im sorry for asking so many questions, i just dont want to hurt my little fishies or my other critters.

10. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

how long should i wait to move everything into the new tank?

11. sauce-n-tank

sauce-n-tank Feather Duster

power compact lights are good thats what i have now.. they are also alot cooler than metal hilides so your tank temp is easier to control

1 person likes this.
  12. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

ok, cool, thank you.
    Another question
    Id love to have some coral (i think just one tiny little frag, not yet of course)
    What kind of coral is best for beginners and What would i have to do in order to keep it healthy and happy?