flow

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by nemo79, Nov 9, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

Can anyone give me the mathematical equasion to figure out the flow in my tank. I used to have 4 powerheads and the flow from my filter but it was way too much for a narrow tank. Everything was being blown too much! after this experience I can say that there can be too much flow in a tank so now I have 2 powerheads and the flow from my filter. I want to figure out the flow rate in my tank.

1 mj1200 = 295gph
    1 mj400 = 110gph
    filter = 200gph

total= 605 gph

Everything seems happier now that I have lowered the flow.

2. Click Here!

3. acenia

acenia Spaghetti Worm

You have a 11 x turnover (605 / 55 = 11). Which is very good. Recommended is 10 x. But then again it doesn't mean that less or more is bad either. it always depends on what your keeping in the tank.

4. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

The recommended flow rate is 10 times the tank volume per hour. this includes power heads and return pumps.

so if you have a 55 gallon tank the recommended flow would be 550 gallons per hour

5. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

My return pump is a Iwaki MD-100RLT pump with a 1986gph flow at 6 feet of head and with a 150 gallon tank my turn over is 13.24 times per hour

6. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

should I lower the flow. My xenia move around alot and they can't really pump? My tank is a very open concept so there isn't much blocking the flow.

7. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

I wouldn't really lower the flow. I would move a powerhead or the xenia. Its a good thing to have a good turnover. Makes everybody in the tank happy plus it keeps crap in the water column so your filter or skimmer can pick it up.

Marc.

8. Click Here!

9. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

No matter where I put the xenia, they seem to move around. The only place where the flow seems low enough to keep them from blowing is under a bridge which wouldn't be a good idea since they wouldn't get any light. I love xenia but boy they are fussy!