ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2013, 07:37 AM
Astrea Snail

Skin: Mint
charbel101 is on a distinguished road

gallery
Default Cycling question :/

I have a 15 gallon tank and i did a stupid mistake and i did put a damsel to start cycling but before i add the fish i did test the water and my results are nitrate 10 nitrite 0 ph 8.5 that results are before i did add a damsel fish now my results are after 3 weeks after adding a damsel fish nitrite 0 nitrate 0 and ph 7.5 the question is did i finish the cycle yet or not cz im so confused
charbel101 is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 12-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
Skunk Shrimp

Billme has a reputation beyond reputeBillme has a reputation beyond reputeBillme has a reputation beyond reputeBillme has a reputation beyond reputeBillme has a reputation beyond reputeBillme has a reputation beyond reputeBillme has a reputation beyond reputeBillme has a reputation beyond reputeBillme has a reputation beyond reputeBillme has a reputation beyond reputeBillme has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

It would help you to understand cycling process. Assuming ammonia is also 0, it looks like the cycling is complete. However, the Ph is a bit low. You should also test alkalinity.
Billme is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
Astrea Snail

charbel101 is on a distinguished road

gallery

How i can make my ph high again?
charbel101 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
Feather Duster

_alex_ has a reputation beyond repute_alex_ has a reputation beyond repute_alex_ has a reputation beyond repute_alex_ has a reputation beyond repute_alex_ has a reputation beyond repute_alex_ has a reputation beyond repute_alex_ has a reputation beyond repute_alex_ has a reputation beyond repute_alex_ has a reputation beyond repute_alex_ has a reputation beyond repute_alex_ has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Are you actually testing ph or dkh? There is a difference and only dkh needs to be tested at this point. Ph is harder to keep up in a salt system and monitoring dkh, calcium, and magnesium are the three main elements to be tested. And on newer systems I would recommend monitoring ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.

To answer your question I would think maybe you have completed the cycle but I would not expect to have 0 nitrates
_alex_ is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Giant Squid

oldfishkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeoldfishkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeoldfishkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeoldfishkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeoldfishkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeoldfishkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeoldfishkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeoldfishkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeoldfishkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeoldfishkeeper has a reputation beyond reputeoldfishkeeper has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

did you use live rock?
oldfishkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
Skunk Shrimp

Billme has a reputation beyond reputeBillme has a reputation beyond reputeBillme has a reputation beyond reputeBillme has a reputation beyond reputeBillme has a reputation beyond reputeBillme has a reputation beyond reputeBillme has a reputation beyond reputeBillme has a reputation beyond reputeBillme has a reputation beyond reputeBillme has a reputation beyond reputeBillme has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Charbel the things you need to test for are ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Ph, and alkalinity. Magnesium will be more important if/when you get corals. If the ammonia and nitrates always read 0 then they aren't as important. Reading up about how the cycle works well give you a basic understanding. You really can't progress much without this understanding. I'll try to post a link to a good article.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
Skunk Shrimp

gallery

this should help with getting a basic understanding of cycling: What is the Nitrogen (Cycle) Cycling Process? - The Nitrogen Cycle in a Marine Saltwater Aquarium
Old 12-19-2013, 05:40 AM   #8
Flamingo Tongue

Skin: Classic
saltaddiction has a reputation beyond reputesaltaddiction has a reputation beyond reputesaltaddiction has a reputation beyond reputesaltaddiction has a reputation beyond reputesaltaddiction has a reputation beyond reputesaltaddiction has a reputation beyond reputesaltaddiction has a reputation beyond reputesaltaddiction has a reputation beyond reputesaltaddiction has a reputation beyond reputesaltaddiction has a reputation beyond reputesaltaddiction has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

When mine completed, my ammonia was 0, nitrite 0 and nitrates about 40ppm. Nitrates will drop after that with water changes. After 2, 10% water changes mine are now 20ppm. Your pH is low though, like they said. Be careful with the buffers that LFS's sell. I made that mistake and the majority of them will jack your alk up too high with it.
I now use the DIY pH dosing. Just google it, it's not that hard and much cheaper than the other stuff.

One thing I've learned in this hobby is read, read, read...and do some more reading. I guarantee there is someone out there that has already made that mistake you are about to make. Read before you do it.
saltaddiction is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!