Crushed Coral

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by nemo79, Aug 30, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

My Substrate Is Crushed Coral Arogonite, I Now Know This Is No Longer Admired By Reefers But I Will No Change It Now. My Question Is It's Looking A Bit "dirty" It Has Light Green And A Purply Gray Colour On The Top Layer, Is It Wise To Vacuum The Substrate From Time To Time To Eliminate Any Problems. Is It A Good Sign When Your Substrate Starts Colouring? Also I Have Seen A Few Excoskeletons Of Amphipods Floating Around Is This Normal?

2. Click Here!

3. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

Aragonite isn't terrible to use at all, where did you read/hear that? I do vacume mine from time to time, gotta get rid of the detrius that collects on top. As far as the skellies you see, that's quite allright :) PS: when i vacume it, only smalll sections at a time.

4. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

You can use it. I just don't like the way it looks and I don't like the way it traps all the gunk. My wife has it in her 20 long and I would dearly love to change it out. Yes, she vacuums it on water changes.

Jim

5. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

It does come in different sizes, there is a considerable difference in the look. Crafty use of a powerhead keeps the detrius off mine relatively well. Curious, what do you use diver?

6. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

well on other forums they were advising me to remove it and replace it with sand, no way am i doing that, i have my tank exactly how i want it. my crushed coral has small shells in it and it says on the bag crushed arogonite coral. my concern was it starting to get bits of bright lime green...is this a good sign or bad? and if what i saw was an amphipod how big are they usually, we saw a live one tonight scurrying across the glass, it was a good size and whitish. copods and amphipods grow in my filter sponge.

7. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Nemo79: It sounds like algae growth to me. A natural process of a maturing tank...

Serotonin: There's not enough flow across the cc for me. She is having a minor cyno outbreak now. I am thinking of moving everything to a 55 tank or 40 long with a fine sand bed and using the 20 long as a refugium. I just have to convince her :) It's been running for two years now, no skimmer just a hob and a powerhead.

Jim

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  8. Click Here!

9. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

can you confirm are you talking about me having a cyano bacteria or your daughters tank?