A Crazy Idea I had About A New Reef Tank...

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Aquariumaker, Jul 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Aquariumaker

Aquariumaker Plankton

I am thinking about setting up a large reef tank at my house here in Southern California.

I'm looking at building the tank around 500 plus gallons, and thinking maybe something like 12 ft X 2 ft X 3 ft. Or maybe even the option of something 8 ft X 2 ft X 6ft, I'm not sure yet.

I might even curve the front panel on either tank or do something wild with the front panel of the tanks being an infinity edge with the water coming over the front of the tank.

My initial idea that I am throwing out to someone on here is to find an expirenced person that would be willing to set the tank up and guide me in how to take care of it.

I am looking for all high quality new parts and equipment and I am not at all interested in bargain basement junk.

I will supply the acrylic tank, the steel tank stand, all of the finish cabinetry work, and the lighting.

I would need the person selected to set me up with all of the life support equipment, heaters, chillers, live coral, fish, etc. whatever is needed so it's turn key ready to go. All of the life support etc. would need to fit inside the stand and cabinetry.

I am looking at the most colors possible for the corals and small colorfull fish and nothing too big.

In exchange or for payment of the deal, equipment, set up, etc. the whole sha-bang-a bang, I would be willing to build the selected person their own custom large tank of equal value.

Let me know if this sounds like a possible idea for someone or if you are interested...

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to 3reef! Vista, CA by way of Bend, Oregon . I think you could tear up your tank set-up yourself, unless, you are set on paying someone to build it for you?

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

5. Ash and Mike

Ash and Mike Astrea Snail

Gotta hand it to him though, it'd be one helluva deal, you help someone set up their tank and you get the same size tank of your own!

6. ALW

ALW Sea Dragon

;DI heard a lot of newbies building 500 gallon tanks live here. ;D

[​IMG]

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Actually, I would think that the equipment and livestock would cost alot more than the custom made fishtank so I'm not sure how much of a bargain it really is?

8. Click Here!

9. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

No offense.... I dont know anybody in their right mind that would do it. You're talking about a 2 yr project and getting paid with a tank. Thats just not worth it. Somebody is going to have to be there hands on for atleast a year of it.

This isnt freshwater, you cant just put everything in it and be done with it. This is a long process that takes time, money and lots of patience.

10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

He's looking at 5 to 6K in rock alone!!! What would LS cost in that thing?

11. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

I refer back to something my dad once told me... If it's sounds to good to be true, chances are it is....

12. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

I definitely would be "interested", but will cost you a minimum of $20k payment to me up front for my help. ;)

Good luck.