30g breeder tank hood?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by dellyjoe, Oct 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dellyjoe

dellyjoe Teardrop Maxima Clam

hello everyone i really want a hood for my 30g breeder tank and i really can not find any on the market

i really do not care it i have to build one i do not know a lot about building but hell i see a lot of people doing it.

so i really want to know if anyone has seen them on the market or do i have to build it.

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Please use correct pronunciation. It goes a long way.

Most people just use 2x2's to make a frame. The frame should be the exact footprint of the top frame of the tank. Height of the canopy will depend upon the light fixture you are using. I would say at least 8", so you have room to reach into the tank. Skin the frame with 1/2" ply then paint or stain the wood.

1 person likes this.
  4. Seano Hermano

You could also put a 1/8" veneer on the outside if you wanted. I would make the front 1/3 of the the canopy open up.

5. Seano Hermano

What size tank & what lights?

Also cut out some openings with one fan on each end.

6. pavelow360

pavelow360 Feather Duster

You lost me for a second there, I was wondering if this guy called you on the phone, because last I checked... you can't pronounce anything when you are typing words in forums... I believe the correct word you are looking for is terminology if you are referring to "tank hood" in this guy's post ... lol

if you can get it right... take some of your own advice... it goes a long way...touche

7. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I figured he meant punctuation, considering the first post is just one giant ongoing sentence.

8. Click Here!

9. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

I think a question that needs answering is,do you want a cover for your tank to keep fish from jumping out and reduce evaporation or do you want a hood that can house your lights and improve the look of the tank?

10. pavelow360

pavelow360 Feather Duster

could be...could be, but that shoots my smart a$$ remarks out of the water

BTW , sry for the hijack Joe

11. FaceOfDeceit

Later on this afternoon, I'll post some pics of my "hood" I built for my 30 gallon, with an in-depth guide on how to build it. Very simple. I will also include pics of my modified MH/T5/LED light I built.

12. FaceOfDeceit