3 Goldfish, ok in a 30Gal tank...?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by secuono, Aug 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. secuono

secuono Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

3 Goldfish need what size housing, please help!!

I have 2 goldfish, Shubunkin and a Ryukin(both 2in), planing on getting a Comet as well. They will be living in a 30Gal tank with a 50Gal filter by Aquaclear. It has these from my cycled tank; blue gravel, 2 fake plants, floating moss, 3 little plants, the 50Gal filter and a 30Gal turtle filter to add a current to the bottom. I will be buying another 30Gal turtle filter for my other tank, again, to add a current to the bottom, the golds really love it, hopeing the next fish do too. I will get a new 18in bubble wand, and I've added a few medium sized rocks and a 3-4in wide PVC corner tube. I am planing on keeping them in this tank until they outgrow it and/or until I can find a tank 150Gal+. Can I keep 1-3 small pleco, Siamese Algae Eater or cat for the bottom as well? Thanks!
    I wanted to know if I can keep the 3 fish in the 30Gal, and if so, for how long? As soon as I can get a bigger tank, I will move them there. For now they kinda have to be in the 30Gal, I hear up to 6-8mo. is fine, after that, the start to get too big, correct?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

firstly welcome to 3 reef secuono
    its been a long time since I kept any coldwater species but I will give you my opinion based on some very fond memories

what temp is your tank at ? average - the suckermouth catfish, and many other cats prefer tropical temperatures - although I do know there is a Hong Kong plecostomus that is often kept in cooler set ups - for glass cleaning duty

Comets are a species that like a bit of swimming space and are often best suited to longer tanks or in fact ponds - but at a very small size I believe it would be OK in your 30 for now
    but have a look around, as there are a lot of other interesting fancy goldfish variaties that would be even more suitable IMO

Hope thats helpful

once again - welcome to 3 reef

Steve

4. secuono

Temps change with the day, highs at 81, lows at 74. There is no heater in there, the room temp and the lights seem to control the temp.
    The 2 Golds.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

good looking fish Secuono

I like the callico pattern varieties - I had some Bristol Shubs myself some years ago

IMO the Hong Kong plec would do OK within those temp ranges
    they where available as a different cold water tank compatible species in the UK when I lived there

Steve

6. secuono

I don't know if stores near me sell those kinds...

7. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

the gravel looks cool? did you make that pattern? pretty cool

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. secuono

yea, solid red with a blue path would be too strong, so I did the opposite. My BF said it looks like blood, I was thinking more along the lines of The Red Sea or lots os red shrimp in the 'river', you know? lol

10. oceanparadise1

hahah! any chance to get a picture of the whole tank? i bet that looks pretty sick! love to see a FTS!

11. secuono

If anyone has a tank 60gal or more for sale, please let me know!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for the sh*tty lighting. Tank isnt done, need to figure out a way to tie the driftwood to two rocks before the suction cup gives way and it snaps my middle brace...any ideas?

12. oceanparadise1

I think that tank looks sick with the gravel work you did! looks really cool! thanks for posting pics!