new mh lights

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by atcdrifter, Jul 30, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. atcdrifter

atcdrifter Astrea Snail

i just got a mh for my tank i no that the 14k is supposed to have a ice white blue color and 20k is blue i think my 14k needs to be replaced what do you guys think? please post pics of you tank with mh lighting only if posible not mh &pc together thanks--1st pic t8s 1-24watt actnic & 1-24 watt coral 2nd pic 150 watt coralife 14k 3rd pic 150 watt 20k

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I like the last pic. Luna

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

It's really more about what you like to look at, And what are you trying to do ? sprue coral growth or have a tank to look at ? 20K will do little for growth and with any actinic at all its to dark and the 14K with actinic is a good all around mixture and 10K with good actinic is better for coral growth, But if you want fast coral growth then move to a 65K bulb and lots of actinic. I my self like 14 to 15 K But then the bulbs Brand comes into play to just say yes 14K is the best then you'd have to know the type bulbs as you will get totally different coloration from any given bulb. The actinic is as if not more important then the M/H in the long run . But the first Pic is what I try to get close to and the middle one would offer better coral growth. But you need the actinic far more Hrs a day then the 14 15 or 20 K bulbs.

5. wjrg

wjrg Astrea Snail

Remember that MH need time to get to the right color.( about 100 or so )

6. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

I like the first because thats what mine looks like and most resembles a 14k :)

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I like the last one.

8. Click Here!

9. atcdrifter

atcdrifter Astrea Snail

thanks for all the input but the middle pick 14k shouldnt it look more ice blue/white like the 1st pic?

10. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

MH Lighting

I have Phoenix 14000K MH bulbs and they have a beautiful blue color and I was told the best par value of any brand for a 14000 K bulb. Your middle pic looks almost like a 6500k bulb. Your 1st pic looks like a 14000k bulb.
    Adam

11. atcdrifter

atcdrifter Astrea Snail

thanks adam thats exactly how the lights look to me ive just stuck with my 20k for now ill leave it like that so i can start putting money in my new 100 gal