New Lights

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by dragonflylures, Apr 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dragonflylures

dragonflylures Flamingo Tongue

I ordered new lights -- 2 - 250W Metal Halides and 4 - 54W t-5's to replace my 4 - 65W PC lighting for my 90 gallon. I ordered from Dr Foster and Smith and the lights showed up Saturday -- was pretty amazing (shipping was only 18 bucks as well). Anyways -- temp goes up 2 degrees during the day from 79-81 but I don't think thats a big issue as it's very constant at that temperature range and my frogspawn and toadstoal looking just awesome.
    My Xenia, zoo's and star polyps are probably light blasted and haven't fully extended. I'm sure this is due to the extra 500 watts in the tank but just wanted other people's opionion on it.
    I'm expecting the closed corals to open up in a day or two when they get used the the light. I do run the metal halides 10 hours a day as well, the Xenia came from a tank with 3 - 400W'ers but that was a few months ago. Everything else in the tank is really healthy and happy but looking for suggestions/ideas/opinions maybe reassurance.

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

You should have acclaimed the corals to the new lights, put them on the bottom and decrease the time the lights are on.