Which MH Bulb?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Khalid, Apr 3, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Khalid

Khalid Plankton

Hi Ladies and Gents,

I am working on a 250 watt metal halide light for a 29 gallon that i will be setting up sometime in the near future. I will not have any other supplemental lighting other that the MH and wanted to know which brand and K rating you guys think is the best if i am not going to be using any actinic lighting with it. I also need your opinions on a 70 watt bulb too. This will be a reef tank and i was thinking 14 or 20k but am not sure so your opinions are greatly appreciated :)

thanks, :)

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

I use 14K's myself. I prefer the crisp bluish white they produce.

4. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

i found the 12k reeflux bulb to be the best over all the others that i have tried. the corals colored up and the par ratings are where they should be. and with the tinge of blue no supp is needed.

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

South Pacific Sunlight 14k (SPS)

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I've also heard good reviews about the Reeflux and the SPS, but I havent tried them yet. As for the K rating, I personaly like the 12-14k bulbs.

7. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

the par ratings of the sps 14k are half of what the reeflux 12k are at the same wattage, sorry otty

8. Click Here!

9. Khalid

Khalid Plankton

So it looks like a choice between SPS 14 K and Reeflux 12-14K, any one have any pictures of tanks using those bulbs so i can get an ideal of what the lighting will look like :) By the way all of you are great i wish I knew about this site when i first started!

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I have used every bulb out there and the reef-lux included it is a good bulb But I pulled the SPS bulbs to try and I'll use them until a better comes along myself I have gotten far better coloration and coral growth with the SPS 14 K Its not just about PAR. Or lux Lumen's and all the other Acronyms used

I Just go by how our corals respond to the lighting and I find the SPS to be better and we have about any bulb you'd want at the shop From Aqua line ReeF Lux X.M and Ushios to Hamilton and Iwakies .. SPS 14 K Its all really about what you want to look at and what makes the corals respond in a favorable way. And I have yet had anyone to tell me they did not like their New SPS 14 K's An I have sent a bunch out to guys here even ,

I had one here that was a tad hesitant to switch from his USHIO's I told him if it was not to his liking I'd send him a Ushio's for free,, or something to that effect.. He still runs the bulb and I still have 10 K Ushios on a shelf .. But its far more to a bulbs worth then PAR..

Oh Amcarig Posted some photos of our 180 here last fall and Otty 265 also has some posted .. maybe others here also ?
    Like Charlie the Tuna you want Tuna that looks good or taste good ? Hell you may go through many Brands to find one you like to look at But all Bulbs at any given K look or perform the same..Buyer beware ..But a Reef Lux or SPS would be a good one to start with ..

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  11. Khalid

Khalid Plankton

Great thanks tangster and everyone else for all the input it has been really helpfull specially since this will be the first MH i have ever used so that is new to me. ;D

12. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

[​IMG]

Love mine I got from Tangster...order from him and get great deal. He will also quickly replace if any problems.

SPS 250w 14k is working out terrifically for me. Coral growth better than with any other bulb to date.

This bulb is also supposed to last much longer then others...It's appearance obiously shows much better made then most.

Scott

Bulb Description

Benefits:
    South Pacific Sunlight (SPS) Metal Halide bulbs are designed to replicate the beautiful shimmering light of your fish and coral`s natural environment. These bulbs are specifically engineered to enhance the polyp extension, color, and growth of your corals. Unlike some other bulbs, SPS Metal Halide bulbs are manufactured with built-in igniters (starters) that allow them to be used with any type of ballast.

SPS Metal Halide bulbs are ideal for most Acroporas (SPS), Anemones, Clams, Hard Corals (LPS), Leathers, Mushrooms, Polyps, Soft Corals, and Xenia.

Available in 175 watt, 250 watt & 400 watt In your choice of:
    Crisp Blue - 10,000k representing 10-30 Ocean Depth Feet (ODF)
    Mid Sea Blue - 14,000k representing 30-60 Ocean Depth Feet (ODF)
    Deep Sea Blue - 20,000k representing 60-90 Ocean Depth Feet (ODF)