Metal Halide Question

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by paulie66, Jan 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. paulie66

paulie66 Astrea Snail

Looking for some ideas on lighting. Would a 150 watt Metal Halide be too much for my bio cube 29? I cant make up my mind so any suggestions would be great.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

No it wouldnt be too much.... WATCH OUT FOR HEAT ISSUES!!!! Thats one of the biggest problems... I was going to do one on my 12.. Are you going to do a clip on?????

4. david7700

david7700 Flamingo Tongue

Cubes are made for MH! like baugherb said though, watch out for heat and evaporation problems. I evaporate between 0.5 - 1.0 gallons per day in my 29g 30" long tank. But with a standard desk fan blowing on low, I haven't had any heat issues.

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I have a 250w MH that I hang over a 20g quarantine tank and don't have any problems with it. Just make sure you don't put it in a closed canopy, if you do add some computer fans or something.
    If you do go with MH you will not have any coral limitations later one.

1 person likes this.
  6. paulie66

paulie66 Astrea Snail

Heat is definately going to be an issue. The pump in this tank will run dry with just a little evaporation. Too much water and it tends to leak over the sides too little water and the pump will suck air.There is very little room for error. I was planning on getting rid of the stock hood and going with a clip on Halide but I think Im going to have a problem with the water level dropping. Maybe I should just go with T5's.

7. david7700

david7700 Flamingo Tongue

If you want a lower electric bill, and lower light output, and no caustic network (shimmering lines), go T5 ! or get a new pump?

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Just blow a fan across the lights and you should be ok. I blow a fan on the Q-tank and it is fine.

10. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

auto top off maybe?????

11. paulie66

paulie66 Astrea Snail

i think im going to try the halide. I have a clip on han that should help. I plan on switching to a bigger take down the road so I can always use it on that tank if it doesnt work out. Thanks for the advice.

12. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

No problem.. Post some pics when you get them.....

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008