metal halide ADVICE NEEDED

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by pokeyprelude, Mar 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pokeyprelude

pokeyprelude Astrea Snail

hi there guys havent been updating much been very busy working, need help choosing some new lights for my set up. at present i dont have any serious corals, the guy i bought the setup off has had it running on 2 x t5's and 1 actinic, the tank is 60"x28"x28" any advice on wattage which bulbs to go for and which brand to go for thanks.
    jon

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

That all depends on what type of corals you want to keep now and in the future. If your planning on all kinds of corals, to include clams, I would consider MH. LIke this one,[​IMG]hombby, he usually has a 60" light . T-5 are not bad lights, alot of ppl have them with corals. I know when I had my other tank with PC's, I was limited on some corals and that would piss me off, so when I up-graded to my current tank, I didnt want that to happen again, so I got MH's this time. Good luck. Luna

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Definitely don't mess around with your lights
    get halides!

5. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

3 250 Watt MH's??? Just my best guess, but don't take my word for the gospel, see if some of the "experts" will chime in!!

6. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

220 gallons? id go with 400's.

7. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

two 400w mh and t5 supp will house the majority of the corals on the market.
    even though it is possible to have an sps tank with just t5's

8. Click Here!

9. billgil1

billgil1 Astrea Snail

I heard that you want about six watts per gallon so you probably want about 1200 total watts for a 200 gallon tank... Just my opinion...Bill