IceCap and Blue life vs. Odyssea

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Av8Bluewater, Mar 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

As I was told the difference is huge. Here's some pics.
    The first pic is a pic with 1 month old Odyssea bulbs and Icecap ballast on the right , Odyssea ballast on the left.
    The second two pics are Odyssea bulb and ballast on the left . Icecap ballast and SPS blue life 14k 250W bulb on the right. Both bulbs are 250W.
    The SPS bulb is so much bluer even though it is Lower Kelvin. The 15k Odyssea bulb almost looks yellow now.
    Everything in the tank is so much better.. the frogspawn is way greener even hermit crabs have standout color.
    Thanks to everyone for all the opinions and help selecting these.
    Now I just need to get new actinics. hehe

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

So it looks like the Odyssea ballasts / bulb started out with a decent color (looking at your pic) and slowly grew dim / green?? the second / last pic definitely don't look like the first (odyssea left).

4. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Looking good. How about a shot of the tank w/ the new and old bulbs for a side by side comparison?

5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Quite the transformation huh?

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Good to hear you went with the SPS's. Man those bulbs rock. I noticed an improvement in my corals in less than 48 hours after switching from 7 month old ushio's.

7. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

Hey, that's kinda cool! got any pictures of them on the tank? I have seen a few and all I can say is WOW it makes a huge difference!

8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Yeah.. I 'll have to get a tank pic in a few days .. The fish are asleep right now and I already shut it down for the night. I'm going camping for a couple days so I'll take one when I get back.

10. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

No the first pic is both Odyssea bulbs in both sides and icecap ballast on the right with Odyssea ballast on the left. The difference in person is bigger, but of course the big big difference was when I put in the new SPS bulb on the right.

11. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Yeah buddy thanks for the input.

12. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I can't really tell much difference in the tank photos, but in person it's a huge difference.
    This pic is with the new bulbs.. older photos don't really look too much different.

Attached Files: