hailides or T5? confused

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by leslie hempel, Aug 22, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

guys i know this question has probably been asked a million times before but im not sure what to do.. even after having tanks for years a swearing by hailides.. when i plan a system i seem to question these things intensly..

my inhabitatnts will include

LPS
    softies.
    Richodea and mushrooms
    Zoanthus
    and some plating monti's (RED and Purple)

i do want clams

my dilema is heat and a small confined flat that gets very hot with hailide in summer.. i have a chiller but i still need to live in the place comfotably..

opinions welcome..

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

4. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

+1 on the halides, no light restrictions to worry about.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I'll play middle of the road and say M/H's with T5 for actinics :) My work here is done LOL

6. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

T5's have been used to keep clams and very successfully I might add. I am using t5's on both my seahorse tanks and 33 long without any heat problems and this is very important on the seahorse tank.

I am currently in the process of setting up a 75 gallon tank and I am also going through the same about the lights. I have both T5's and Halides to use but I am leaning toward the T5's more for economic reasons (running cost including chiller, bulb costs).

Edit: thanks tangster, makes it so much easier to decide! LOL

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

We must all do what we can to help out ;D

8. Click Here!

9. MTips18

MTips18 Purple Spiny Lobster

MH's try the current sunpod it stays very cool i don't run a chiller and i have a 125

10. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

An important consideration is tank height. If it's a 55, T5's would be very effective. If it's higher, halides would be better.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  11. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

T5, I have maxi, crocea, and squamosa clams all doing VERY well. I don't even have individual reflectors. Whats the height of the tank.

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

problem with T5's on a 55 is the width I have 55 with 175 M/H's and its slack on the bottom . Tanks are so narrow 4 54w tube would have to be relly over driven to keep some clams on the bottom , I know the 4 bulb set I made last yr did not do much on a 55 near to and on the bottom .. It would not support mushrooms even and Green stars even setting on the bottom .