Chiller needed for one 250w MH?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by MoJoe, Nov 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Quick question, lighting a cube with one 250w MH bulb in a Lumen Max Elite pendant. Do I have to get a chiller, or is one 250w MH comparable to the heat put out by say a 5 to 6-bulb T5 fixture? The light will be suspended over the tank, no hoods or canopies. I'm not sure exactly how far up it will be though.

I'm hoping I can get by without a chiller :)

2. Click Here!

3. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

i have 2 250s over a 4' 120 and my temp went up from 78 to about 83 but i installed a fan under my stand pointed at the ballasts and its staying at 79.8. i also have a fan to blow across the MHs on top of the tank if the temp goes above 81. i hope this will shed a little "light" on your ?

1 person likes this.
  4. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Thanks for the input Jeff. I have a really dumb question being a MH noob. When chillers are used for MH's are they only used during the Summer months or all year round? I know it's dependant on where you live, if you run AC, how many bulbs you run, if they're enclosed etc... but just wondering.

I'm basically trying to get a minimalist set-up so the less I need the better!

5. TBELT

TBELT Ritteri Anemone

I have a 400w MH and 2 T5s and other lights in the hood of my 180. All I needed was a fan to blow over the lights. I actually have to holes I cut on the top of my hood. I put a box fan over one that draws the air out. It has worked all summer in Fl. to keep the tank at 75-76 degrees. Air is kept at 78 in the house. I have had no probs

On a secondary note I had a 34 gallon and had to use a chiller to keep it down. Did not have MH lighting but because of the small volume of water and the pumps in the tank the chiller was needed.

With your not having a hood IMHO I think a fan blowing across the top of the tank should work.

6. TBELT

TBELT Ritteri Anemone

When I had my chiller on a 34 I kept it on all year. My chiller also had an electric outlet for a heater. So when the temp went up the chiller went on. When the temp went down the chiller turned itself off and turned on the heater.

1 person likes this.
  7. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

no prob, i never owned a chiller but i think TBELT has the info.

8. Click Here!

9. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Thanks for your input TBelt, much appreciated!

Hmmm, I guess the temp fluctuation will vary depending on how high I suspend the pendant. I'm thinking in the Winter/Fall I will be fine, but may need a fan for the Summer.

10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

How much total water volume do you have in the system?

11. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

30x30x18 cube 69-70g

1 person likes this.
  12. TBELT

TBELT Ritteri Anemone

You are most welcome good luck