30” Odyssea Metal Halide System 380W Review

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by ComputerJohn, Mar 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I have been looking for over 3 weeks on lighting fixtures for my 29gal here & on the web. I have been hearing both good & bad reviews on the Odyssea brand.

Well, I just bought one on ebay from a seller that has sold A LOT of them & have contacted a couple of the buyers that stated they were very pleased with the fixtures & the seller.

So, basically I'll do a review for everyone else at my expense. ;D
    This experiment / review is both for me & for the rest of 3reef users. For me being if I like the fixture, I will be ordering the 48" version for my 90gal build. I'm replacing my current 29gal fixture which is a 30" Coralife Aqualight Dual 65Watt 50/50 10000K Daylight/Actinic power compact fixture.

I paid $65.00 for the Coralife over a year ago. Bulbs need replacing & salt creep has ruined one of the sockets, that after me scrapping the contacts got it working again, but on it's last leg.

I just paid $199.00 SHIPPED including insurance for the 30" Odyssea Metal Halide System 380W.

Product Description:
    An ideal high light output fixture for reef hobbyist at all levels. Featuring metal halide, compact fluorescent, and bluemoon LED in one system. Easy plug 'n' play design makes assembly a breeze. Built-in cooling fan for air circulation, preventing heat built up. Highly polished reflector increases reflective efficiency. Both, tempered glass lens and acrylic lens, protect light bulbs from water splashing. Individual on/off switches and power cords allow for dawn and dusk effect. System comes complete with external electronic HQI ballast and internal electronic compact fluorescent ballast. The most breath taking part is - You can own this dream light for a fraction of the price of name brand ones.

Here are the currect specs:
    Product Specification
    • Light fixture (Approx. 30“x 15“x 3“)
    • Support: 1x 250W DE HQI, 2x 65W Compact Fluorescent, 4x Dual
    Bluemoon LED
    • Non corrosive powder coated aluminum housing
    • External HQI Ballast
    • Internal Compact Fluorescent Ballast
    • Built-in Cooling Fan
    • Tempered glass lens and acrylic lens
    • Individual power cords and on/off switches
    • CE Certified
    • Made in China

• 250W DE HQI Bulb 15K
    • (2) 65W CF Bulb Actinic Blue
    • (4) Dual Bluemoon LED
    • Set of Mounting Legs

So, I'll keep everyone posted. Just sent payment & now just wating for it..
    Stay Tuned........................

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I got the Odyssea 48" 2x250 watt metal halide and I like it. You get what you pay for. I had problems with the legs (pieces of crap) and all but one slid on, I had to replace the screw and do some "engineering" to get it to hold and to function. The ballasts will be getting replaced with ice caps soon. For 15k bulbs they are a very pleasing whitish blue but I would like them to be slightly more blue than what they put out currently.

I think you'll like it. For the price, it really can't be beat.

4. ComputerJohn

I know you pretty much get what you pay for, but I believe a lot of these fixture mfgs have been gouging the aquarium industry long enough. I paid about half of what most mfg want for the same fixture. I plan on hanging it anyways. A lot easier to maintain the tank, more controlled distance of the fixture to tank, a lot more stable, & having the ability to add a cooling fan across the top of my tank.

Even is I have to replace the ballast, I'm still ahead of the game. I have been running a PC for over a year. This is a 100 times better than my current lighting, without a crazy price for a light that I plan to use this tank as a QT, when I finally have my 90 running..

1 person likes this.
  5. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I hear ya. I was looking at the outer orbits and was astounded by the price. You pay for brand names and pad their pocketbooks. The fixture is very solid. Let me know what you use to hang the light, I would like to go that direction but haven't really found a hanging kit. Haven't had much time to look though, either :)

6. ComputerJohn

Will do.. Astounded? I priced out a LED 48" fixture was over 3k!! People are on crack!

7. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

I am looking into the same type of lighting for my 55 let me know how it works
    The lights I have now are Oddysea bu tonly 2 65 flour and 2 65 watt act I had problems with a mounting leg also and emailed em back and they sent another but by time they got there I had the first ones fixed so I have extras incase I ruin one...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  8. Click Here!

9. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Be sure and post in the review section when the time comes.
    Main Index - 3reef Reviews
    I have the 48" 760w system. Within a year I have upgraded ballasts, replaced ballasts, replaced bulbs and, generally kicked myself for buying it. It is getting to be a nice fixture. I've had mine apart a hundred times, if you need any help when you get inside of it, let me know.

10. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

I'm on my 3rd Odyssea fixture. My first was a PC fixture, 2nd was a MH/PC fixture, and my current one is also a MH/PC fixture. Right now I have the 60" fixture with 3x250w MHs, 2x96W PCs and 2x65wPCs.

IMO I have never had a problem with any of them. I caught a lot of heat when I bought the first MH one a few years ago. People saying my house was going to burn down. Well it's still there. And my current MH fixture has an individual ballast for each MH bulb and they're much smaller and more manageable. I have been very pleased and you can't beat the price.

Also, the newest fixture is very solid and sleek. I know people say you get what you pay for and maybe there are better quality fixtures out there. But I just couldn't stomach spending $1000+ on a fixture suitable for my 125gal when the one I have now was literally half that price, shipped.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Ha! 900th post!

11. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I just bought the 48" 760w. It's nice , better than I thought. I don't like the actinics color but that's cuz I got used to my 420/460 spectrum bulbs. Nothing really wrong with them. The legs work but super cheap. I'm going to put something extra to hold it up cuz I don't trust them. The legs are held on with one tiny screw so I can see it falling in the water. The ballast could be the weakest point they work fine but I bet burn a lot more juice. My old odyssea system was complete crap. For the price I'm happy. Another thing I don't like is the lights are closer together compared to my old 48". I wasn't expecting that. And would have went longer if I had known.

12. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

My jaw dropped when I saw the difference an up-graded mh ballast made.