Pagoda Coral....

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Birdlady, Oct 30, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

OK, so I am at the LFS and I get this clam, and 2 fire shrimp and I see this coral I like. I ask all the pertinent questions....I know it is not one of the several that I know I should NOT buy (such as elegance or flower pot corals). It's a pretty yellow-green color...we get it and bring it home.

Everything is Happy as a clam ...even the clam! But my coral has not opened yet. I double checked all the info the LFS gave me....this is a relatively hardy coral, does not have high light or flow requirements...so I should be OK with this one.

How many days (this is nite 2) should I wait before I begin to cry! It looks healthy, no slimy or gross looking parts. It was wide open at the store....looked good. It just won't open!!! Argh! The clam I got looks fabulous!

Water is all good..

Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - .02
    Alk - 10 dKh
    Calcium - 400
    Mag - 1440
    pH - 8
    Temp - 79.5 - 80 F

Thanks!
    :D ;D

2. Click Here!

3. mmakay

mmakay Feather Duster

My research showed that the yellow varieties prefer moderate to strong light and current, so it may prefer to be towards the top of your tank. That's not first hand experience though, so take with agrain of salt. I also read in a couple of spots that this coral can have rather unpredictable polyp extension. I would definitely wait a day of two before starting to worry about it.

-Mickey

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Thanks! I have MH and it is right under the light so...lighting shoud be OK.....Thanks! I will keep waiting! and watching.... :D

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Was the Pagoda coral under the same lighting at the LFS Cindy? If not it could take longer for it too adjust.

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hi Craig!

No, it was not under MH at the store...I thought about that later....
    It just started opening yesterday and is a little more open today. I have the light moved so it is not directly on the coral! Thanks! (PS, I 'm Sue ;D)

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Sorry Sue, too early in the AM, eh? My apologies to Beamer in advance. My bad.

Glad your coral is acclimating.

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish